Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Disappears When I Click It

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 badadams

badadams

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

I am using an older Micron PC, P4, XP, Office 2003. Over the last year I have lost about a dozen important personal files by clicking on the file name in the folder, or clicking the X in the upper right hand corner to close the file. The rate of loss has increased, so I decided to format the computer out and reinstall my operating system and applications again (spring cleaning). I have had this computer about 4 years, and have used a lot of applications so it was really about time. I was suspecting that I might have some malware messing with my computer.

I did that about a week ago, and today another file disappeared before my very eyes, this time it was an Excel file, usually it is Word. I opened up the excel application and clicked my file in "recent files," got the file's not there error message. I went to my indexer and searched for words I knew to be in the file. Didn't find my file.

The computer seems to know which files are important and goes for them. It prefers large, frequently used files, but today it disposed of a relatively small excel file

Old as it is, this computer is more than adequate for my needs, except for this dispensing with files problem. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

Files just don't disappear, does anyone else use your computer at home? Because they may have played around with your computer. Also there could be a program on your system that is making files not really there but that shouldn't happen. Where about do you save your files? How often do you back up?

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 13 March 2007 - 02:55 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

You didn't mention whether the file was showing up in the Recycle Bin.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users