Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network And Services

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 floorman

floorman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi All,
I have a strange problem going on. I have a three computer network in my home. The second and third computers are hooked up though a linksys wireless-g 802.11g router (model # wrt54g). One of the computers is an IBM laptop running xp tablet pro sp2 (no problems here). The other computer is a Gateway 510 desktop running xp home sp2 with a linksys wireless-g 802.11g adapter (model # wmp54g). This is the one thats giving me a headache :flowers: . Every time i start up this computer (Gateway) I have to go to services and manually start DHCP, wireless zero config and secondary logon before this computer can find a web page. All of these services are set to automatic, but i don't know how to get them to stay on by default. The other issue with this computer is that sometimes the wireless icon in the task tray, and in the network connections window shows that there is no connection, but I can connect to the internet. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any and all help!
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

marc, it could be one of many things, or a combo of them all. do you have all your windows updates, up to date?
is the linksys utility also trying to run on startup? (should be an icon in taskbar)
have you run an adware/spyware scan (updated of course), and a virus scan?

try this also for fun, fixes some registry network related issues, may nt work in your case, but it wont hurt either.

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/WinSock_...ock_XP_Fix.html
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 floorman

floorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hey Snapper,
Sorry it took so long for me to respond back, but i didn't have access to the computer in question (Gateway). I had done a full scan with AVG and Spysubtract just prior to my post. They found nothing other then a couple of cookies. I also used the link you suggested, and ran windowxpfix. My windows os has all the latest updates. The linksys wireless icon comes up in the task tray at start up, but sometimes (but not always) has a big red X though it like it's not connected. I can still access the internet when this red X is there. I guess the thing that I'm mostly confused :thumbsup: about is why I have to manually start DHCP client and the others in services to access the internet, after the machine has been shut down. I don't have to do this if I just restart the machine. Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users