Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI warns on Tsunami Relief Scams by email

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

FBI warns on Tsunami Relief Scams by email
be careful of email requesting donations

I wanted to share that my thoughts and prayers are with all affected. With this being perhaps the greatest disaster in our lifetime, we all were impacted. I would encourage our members to give to mainstream organizations from the heart.

I wish I didn't have to share the following security warning, but please also be careful with email messages requesting donations :thumbsup: I've personally recieved a couple of emails to donate to "a relief fund" that appeared to be fradulent.

To prevent this issue, do not respond to any email request for donations. Instead it's better that you initiate the transaction through secure browser technology. Give locally and to the main trusted agencies, (like some of our moderators and members feature in the signature lines).

This is the worst type of scam and perhaps many of you have heard the media reporting on it. Thus, as I'd like to see contributions go to work in the best possible way, I thought this awareness is important.

FBI warning on EMAIL scams related to Tsunami

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users