Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control icon missing from tray

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0_II

Zer0_II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:58 AM

My volume control icon has gone missing from my taskbar. I have it set to show, but it just isn't there. I downloaded TuneUp Utilities recently, so I'm thinking that it is causing it not to show. I can't find any kind of option on the program to make it show though. Perhaps I am just overlooking it though, or perhaps it isn't TuneUp Utilities which is causing this to happen at all. Is there anyone who is familiar with TuneUp Utilities and knows whether or not there is a way to hide/unhide the volume control icon in the tray?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:24 PM

oops...nevermind

Edited by HuckerJ, 08 January 2005 - 12:32 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

From Microsoft:

SYMPTOMS
On a Windows XP-based computer, you may experience one or both of the following
behaviors:
The Volume icon is no longer displayed in the notification area at the far right of
the taskbar.
When you try to add the volume control icon to the notification area (in the
Sounds and Audio Devices utility in Control Panel, click to select the Place volume icon in
the taskbar check box on the Volume tab), you receive the following error message:
Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control
program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
As a result, you cannot start the Volume Control program and adjust the volume and sound
level settings of your computer.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Sndvol32.exe file is damaged or missing.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact
disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow
these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting
automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line,
where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that
contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the
Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):

CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

NOTE: There is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the
Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt
(pressing ENTER after each line):

e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in
the notification area (if you selected this option).

MORE INFORMATION
279435 HOW TO: Display the Volume Icon in the Notification Area in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279435/EN-US/?FR=1

310578 Windows System Tray Icons
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310578/EN-US/?FR=1

307918 HOW TO: Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/EN-US/?FR=1

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users