Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Signal To Router And/or Connect To Internet.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hi folks :trumpet: ,
Here's what I've got... A desktop 'puter with a Linksys WAP54GS router (wired) in my store. About 150 feet away in my house (separate building), I have a Linksys WMP54GS in my desktop 'puter; both 'puters are running the Linksys software.

The internet in the store works flawless but the wireless WMP54GS doesn't . When it gets a signal, it's usually around 44%. Sometimes with a signal of 44% it will show that it's successfully connected to the router but no connection to the internet. Sometimes it works great. (50/50). Sometimes it will search & search and no signal is ever found. Sometimes the "repair" feature will fix it, most of the time it won't. Sometimes re-starting the 'puter will fix it or rebooting the router will fix it; not always.

When I restart the 'puter, an error message pops up that's related to the WMP54GS. It shows:

"The instruction @ "0x02b252ed" referenced memory at "0x02b252ed". The memory could not be "read". Click "Cancel" to debug."

I click cancel but it never debugs the problem. WTF???? :flowers: :thumbsup: Can anyone help, please?

**Admin note-Removed formatting tags~G**

Edited by groovicus, 14 March 2007 - 08:45 AM.

Clydesdale™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

i've always liked the linksys hardware, but disliked muchly their software. not easy to use for newbies, and flaky. although i am not a microsoft card carrying member, i do like the ease-of-use, and decent performance of the windows zero wireless configuration. (win xp SP2). you are far away from your access point at 150'. your signal stregnth is affected by many variables and distance is one in your case. my suggestion would be to>>

1.use windows zero wireless configuration
2.purchase an antennna for either your router, or your pci linksys card. if you use the accesspoint for this computer only, i would find an antenna for your computer's card instead of the router.
3.use a static ip address, this will alliviate the issues of your puter trying to find an ip address if it quickly loses signal stregnth and regains it.
4. consider changing security policies, WEP and WPA use keys to authenticate transmissions in their packets, if you disabled it and tried other means of security, it could help improve ; marginally; your speed seeing as you have poor signal. try, disabling "broadcast ssid", and enabling "mac address authentication" in your router.

some ideas for you anyhow, if you need more explanations on how or why, post back, hope this helps a bit.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

i've always liked the linksys hardware, but disliked muchly their software. not easy to use for newbies, and flaky. although i am not a microsoft card carrying member, i do like the ease-of-use, and decent performance of the windows zero wireless configuration. (win xp SP2). you are far away from your access point at 150'. your signal stregnth is affected by many variables and distance is one in your case. my suggestion would be to>>

1.use windows zero wireless configuration
2.purchase an antennna for either your router, or your pci linksys card. if you use the accesspoint for this computer only, i would find an antenna for your computer's card instead of the router.
3.use a static ip address, this will alliviate the issues of your puter trying to find an ip address if it quickly loses signal stregnth and regains it.
4. consider changing security policies, WEP and WPA use keys to authenticate transmissions in their packets, if you disabled it and tried other means of security, it could help improve ; marginally; your speed seeing as you have poor signal. try, disabling "broadcast ssid", and enabling "mac address authentication" in your router.

some ideas for you anyhow, if you need more explanations on how or why, post back, hope this helps a bit.
dave

Thanks for the reply Snapper :thumbsup:
Linksys has a very powerfull antena for the pc card but I was avoiding that due to the cost; I think I'll buy one.

You're saying to uninstall the Linksys software in my remote pc and make a new wireless configuration with windows xp?

I will try all of your suggestions; will get back to you. Thanks again.
Clydesdale™

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

yes, essentially uninstall the software, and download and install only the drivers , not the utility.

#5 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

yes, essentially uninstall the software, and download and install only the drivers , not the utility.

You're saying "download and install only the drivers , not the utility" you're talking Linksys or XP?
Clydesdale™

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

for linksys adapter.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download

the xp utility is built in to the operating system

#7 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

for linksys adapter.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download

the xp utility is built in to the operating system

Thanks Snapper, I'll check that out. I won't be able to do anything for a couple days but I'll try all that and will report back.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Clydesdale™

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

sweet, np anytime.

#9 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

I downloaded the driver (utility came with it) ... I feel stupid asking this but now that the driver is downloaded, how do I install it? There's no setup in the "Driver" folder. How do I setup a new utility with XP?

Thanks again.
Clydesdale™

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:01 AM

start>control panel>system> hardware tab>deveice manager>right click on the wireless card driver(under networking devices) select properties>update driver>point the search to the folder that has the driver.

or

start>control panel>add/remove programs>find and remove the utility and driver> reboot machine>when it reboots, it will prompt you to install drver>point it to the folder that has the driver in it.

:thumbsup:
dave

#11 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Snapper, I'll try that tonight. Meanwhile, I bought a D-Link antenna with a 4 foot cord and mounted the antenna right by the window. The signal went from 44% to 60% and have not have any connection problems since. I will now buy 2 more for the Linksys router and mount those buy the window too. Woo Hoo! Thanks again for all your help, you da man. :thumbsup:

I put up a post like this on the Linksys forum from the Linksys website and no replies.... go figure. :flowers:
Clydesdale™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users