Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Partition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ONE

ONE

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:35 AM

Hey all,

A quick question. I was hoping to partition my system. I currently have two hard drives installed; set to master and slave.
Could I set both hard drives to the Master Position, then choose which one boots in the BIOS to allow one to run a research/internet drive and the other to run my music production software?
Or would I have to create an official partition with partitioning software even though the partition is between two hard drives?
This is a few year old computer and both hard drives are running on a single cable connection, would I have to switch their positions around on the cable to change which one is the master drive to boot the OS?
Or should I just give up for now and keep saving for the computer of my dreams for music production?

I would just run both applications on one OS boot and share the hard drives, but I have to shut down all of my start-up programs, disconnect from the internet, turn off all of my Anti-Virus software, and a number of other applications in order to have enough of the CPU and RAM directed at the music production software to end the amazing-latency-of-doom response time if I don't. So if the first question is possible or if something else similar is possible, it would be the easiest route to accomplish the switch on this old-run-down-piece I call my computer.

Thanks,

ONE

P.S.:
I also have a couple year old Compaq, which I'm not proud to mention is mine, which has suddenly failed to work.
I decided to format the HD and update some of the basic components, video card, audio card, and a fire wire card, when it crapped out on me.
Basically the BIOS shows all the hardware is active and working probably but Windows will no longer open; not only does it not open, every time it clicks to go into Windows the system goes black, shuts down and starts up again as if nothing happened...
I was able to get one message while trying the format again, saying the hard drive had a problem and the computer figured it would be safer not to open Windows in fear of destroying the hardware components.
I already tried removing the new hardware, doing the format again, but the same message and the same results over and over again.
I then installed the hard drive in the computer I'm using now, and trying to partition, and the hard drive works fine no problem at all.
What is going now with the Compaq????
Has it finally fried, reached its last limb and died?
I was wondering if Compaq could have some sort of fail safe restore program that is refusing my new version of Windows XP Pro?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ridiculously long post; PLEASE HELP!!,

ONE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

If you have 2 drives set to master, basically you'll confuse the OS. Set one to master and the other to salve (or cable detect). Have your OS residing on the master and the rest of the drive(s) can be for programs and storage. Windows will recognize each drive as an individual drive

This is a few year old computer and both hard drives are running on a single cable connection, would I have to switch their positions around on the cable to change which one is the master drive to boot the OS?

Ummm.....huh? :flowers: LOL! Are you saying that you've only got one ribbon (IDE) cable that has a single connector? If that's the case, then you could get a cable that has 2 connectors on it allowing you to have 2 drives on a single cable. That would be the ideal way to set it up.

You could also do this: Reformat both drives. Set one to master, the other to slave. Partition the master drive so part of it is 10gb, then install the OS on that small partition. Having your OS on a smaller partition will allow it to run a little faster. This will also allow you to place certain programs on another partition by themselves, or on another drive and it won't interfere with the OS. Also good if you have a program that requires a scratch disc, you can tell it to create the scratch disc on the slave drive so it won't interfere with your OS. If you set it up like this (10gb partition on the master drive and another drive set as slave) then your computer should recognize it as C: (10gb partition with OS on it), D: (rest of master drive that's not partitioned) and E: (or F: depending on other optical drives) which would be your slave drive. You can also install any program on the slave drive, or use it just for storage of your created music.

As for your old compaq machine, if windows detects an error on the drive, then it won't boot to it, you may very well have a bad drive. You can try to reformat it/check it for errors in another machine, but if it's that old (and you don't really need anything on it) you can just buy another small drive to put in there to get it up and running. It's not out of the norm for windows to not boot if it detects errors on a drive.

Hope this helps! Let us know! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users