Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn Off Wireless Function From Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mercuryb

mercuryb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

I just set up a wireless router. I hope this doesn't sound too strange. I just want to have my two computers connected with cords to the router and I want to turn off the wireless functions so no one taps into my connection. Is that possible? There doesn't seem to be any buttons on the hardware to do it, perhaps I can do it from the desktop? My wireless is a Linksys Wireless G 2.4 Ghz broadband router model 802.11g. My operating system is Windows 2003.

Much thanks for the help

java script:emoticon(':thumbup2:', 'smid_20')
:thumbsup:

-M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

there is no button disabling it. so instead do this>>>
1.take off the antenna
2.disable "broadcast ssid" in the wireless security tab
3. also in wireless security tab, set security to 256nit wep with a strong hex key
4. make your router "mac address authenticating", also within the wireless sevurity tab.

if someone is close enough to get bandwidth on your non-broadcasting, mac addy authenticating ,256 bit wep encrypted wireless network, they will have a difficult time getting in.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 mercuryb

mercuryb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hey Snapper,

I will do as you said. I'll let you know if there are any problems. Your advice is much appreciated.

Mahalo,

Merc

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

`A `ole pilikia

http://www.mauimapp.com/moolelo/hwnexprns.htm

lol!