Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

I am wondering how to change the IP address of my network.

I have 3 computers hooked up on one router, when I go online on any of the 3 computers, they all the same IP address. I am wondering how can I change this IP address?

Will the ipconfig release and renew method work? Or is that only change the address of my specific computer on the network?

thanks

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

they all have the same WAN (wide area network) , or internet ip address yes. it is because they are using the outside ip of the router. each computer in the network has it's own "private" ip address however which is not viewable on the net side. making it appear even though you have multiple requests from your lan, that you have 1 computer.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

There are 2 ways of achieving this either you will need to change the static IP on the machines different numbers eg
I used these figures as an example the ones you are using maybe different.

Or to use DHCP. This will need to be enabled on the router. This would mean you could change the settings on the machines to automatically detect a network address on the IP configuration. This situation would also mean that the release renew option from Command prompt would work. This will not work if the addresses are set statically.
Posted Image

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:29 AM

On reading this again I am not fully sure of the question.

Here is my other interpretation that from the net side it is always showing the same IP of the machines. Not that the IP address on the physical machines are the same.
The reason for this is that the Router will have an IP address assignedby the ISP. The Router will use a feature called NAT (Network Address Translation). This means that all comunications from the router will be from the Routers IP address this stops Hackers from knowing the IP address of the machines the other side of the router. This stops them from easily attacking your machines if you have a firewall setup on the router.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users