Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Find Out If You Have An Atx Or At Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ProTech Service

ProTech Service

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

I bought an ATX case and want to move my old motherboard to it. But not sure if I can.

The Case I bought is Bio II ATX gaming case with 450 W supply

Going to move my motherboard off a Compaq Presario s3040se Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ

Am I able to do this? and are there any guides or great websites (other than this one) that will show me the diagrams or specs for wiring? and cable hookup.

thanks
Auger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

The motherboard is probably marked with where everything goes (providing that you have a magnifying glass). If you don't have a magnifying glass, you should just be able to run the motherboard through a search engine and find the manual. If you are just swapping cases, that isn't going to be too difficult. I can't tell you if the motherboard is going to fit in the case or not because I don't know what type motherboard you have.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

A P4 motherboard won't be AT. AT mobos went out around the PentiumII era. So long as it looks like the dimensions fit so the motherboard can physically fit in the case, you should be fine.

The most difficult thing for you will probably be connecting the front panel switches to the proper pins on the front panel header block on the motherboard. There are pairs of wires for each of these front panel devices: Power switch, reset switch, power LED, hard drive LED, system speaker (makes beeps). If the motherboard doesn't have printed text next to this block of pins identifying which pair of pins is which, it's going to be an adventure of discovery for you to try and decipher which wires go where. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

Good point. The motherboard should have something on it that identifies it. Once you know that, you can google the manual.

#5 ProTech Service

ProTech Service
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

thats the thing the Power switch wires on the Compaq case power switch are all tied into on thing...while the ATX case has the wires for Power switch, reset switch, power LED, hard drive LED all seperate...but I think I can match up the color wires?

I will try and google for the Mobo manual....

thanks...

any good sites for PC building?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

I can't think of any good sites at the moment. I always just followed the mobo manual. Just as an FYI, the color coding on the wires is not standardized, so you can't go by that.

I also now understand your problem. All of the power switch wires and leds are stuck together into a single plug, and that plug goes into a single block of plugs. On the new system, they are all separate. You are going to need the manual too see which pins are for which, and I am not even 100% sure that will work because when they are in a solid group like that, sometimes they share grounds. When they are separate, there is no ability to shared grounds. You might have to look into a new mobo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users