Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brentthing

brentthing

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

I dont know if this is in the right section

I found this old printer (Epson Stylus color 740) in my crawl space and decided to use it, after a while of making some usb cables i had it installed, when I made a print test by putting color and black and color text, It printed out and instead of printing out color and black it printed out only color, I then changed black cartridges and then tryed printing again with a new cartridge and it still did the same thing, I then switched it to only black and white and then it still did the same

please help me , thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

So, are you saying that the black cartridge isn't working? If you pull out the ink cartridges, look where they seat and you should see where the cartridges connect to the holder (like a copper ribbon cable almost...I forget what they're called :huh: ). Take a soft eraser to them, rubbing them gently. Then, get some canned air and blow them out to get rid of the eraser pieces. Now, you can take a Q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, dab it on a paper towel to remove the excess alcohol then gently (very gently) rub the same area. The eraser is to remove any "grime" that's build up and the alcohol is to remove any dust/dirt that's still there. Do the same to your cartridges, and also clean (same method) where the ink comes out of the cartridge itself. This is to ensure that the ports are clean and free of obstruction.

Install them and see if they work now. Let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

The epson 740 printer has built in print heads, here is a link to everything on epson's web site about this printer

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...p;prodoid=10614
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 brentthing

brentthing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

thank you for responding to my problem stevealmighty, I had tryed everything you have said but it seems like the printer is not even trying to print out the black

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

Have you replaced the cartridges with brand new ones, and ensured that they're the correct ones for that printer?

With an old printer, it's not beyond reasoning that it just might've crapped out on you :huh: If the ports on the cartridges aren't blocked, and the drivers are all installed, then I'd have to say it's a hardware failure on the printers behalf. The only other thing you could do would be to tear into the printer itself and look for any loose or unplugged wires in hopes that something came undone during storage.

Fortunately, if you're looking for a printer to use just for text and easy printing, you can pick one up fairly cheap that will do the job. One thing to keep in mind when looking for a new printer is the price of the cartridges....some are more expensive than others.

Sorry, and hope this helps at least a little bit! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 brentthing

brentthing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

i just took it apart and everything and again the same problem, I'll have to just buy a new cheap printer, do you know of a website where I could get one under 50 dollars?

edit: I just tryed printing out a bunch of letters and it showed dots in the shape of those letters so Im guessing it's just dry ink maybe

Edited by brentthing, 13 March 2007 - 10:13 AM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

Newegg.com sells printers (click HERE for printers from newegg.com under $50). However, if you have a staples, walmart/sams club or any type of store like that, you can check there as it might be a bit cheaper when you figure in shipping and handling as compaired to driving and picking one up yourself :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 brentthing

brentthing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

thank you for all your help

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

No problem at all! That's why we're here! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 brentthing

brentthing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

i eventually got it to work beutifully just by jamming a rod into where the ink comes out of the cartridge and for some strange reason it actually worked

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

:huh: Really? :huh:

That's an odd tactic to use.....but nonetheless a successful one! Looks like it was a jammed port after all! Glad to hear that you got it working!

What type of "rod" did you use? Those holes aren't that big...did you use a needle or something?

I'm going to have to remember your fix for this! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users