Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi all,

I run Windows XP Pro SP2. Hard Drive is 20 Gbs. Ram is 352. I do have a lot of programs in the start up menue. However. over the period May 2004 to date I have noticed that Updates including security updates and hotfixes and a host of installers and uninstallers are situate on the had drive. The can be found in Add/Remove programs. I now have 64, to 67 of these updates etc. The free space now reads 7.56.

Is there any way I can have all of these updates rolled up into one? and/or manage them in such a way that they can be kept at a minimum? And can you advise whether my main problem is more memory.

My system has slowed down in such a way that web pages take 1 to 3 minutes or more to load.

Thanking you abundantly for your kind assistance.

bassy2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

There isn't any way to roll all the updates into one - you'll have to wait until SP3 comes out. However, with 7.5GB of free space left on the HDD this isn't your problem.

Is your total RAM 352 or is this just the free RAM while Windows is running? If it is the total RAM then it is a little on the low side and extra RAM will help a lot.

I do have a lot of programs in the start up menu.

This will definitely slow your system down - you really need to cut back to the bare minimum. Also check out what services are running and disable any that are not needed. You can find more info about services here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi Budapest,

Many thanks for you reply. I shall be looking into services and startup programs I can set to manual or disable.

I am afraid that there were some errors in my thread with respect to memory, hence I the system information hereunder.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SMARTY
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M825VXX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name SMARTY\Administrator
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 145.43 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.30 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I shall be grateful for any further advice you may render.

Again Thank you for the help and I look forward to your reply.

Best regards

Bassy2

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

Hello,

To see what files are taking up the most room, download this program http://windirstat.info/
Also, the problem might be the uninstallers, when you install an update, it keeps the files used to safely remove the update, using a program like ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ will allow you to delete the hotfix uninstallers, sadly you wont be able to then uninstall the updates on your system that you might not need.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hello Nigglesush85

Thank you for your reply. I dowloaded the program you suggested but It was a bit confusing to me. I read the help feature but Did not get much information on how to use the program. I am pretty new to computers and most of the jagron. I am afraid I might do something wrong.

Is there a simple worded step by step guide to using the program? I am also looking at backing up and/or removing programs from the system and to install and remove them as need be.

The thought of removing my 20 GB hard drive and replacing it with a 80GB has crossed my mind.

Can you give me hints as to the best course to take?

Bassy2

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

Over 7.5G of free space on a 20G drive isn't so bad, and certainly shouldn't be slowing down your system as you describe.

Do you have, and have you run, current Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs?

Have they discovered any problems?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

Although is probably best to control program starting at "startup" within their own options, it can be easily done with a program such as WinPatrol. It is a free program with a lot of useful tools. You can also control services with it,too.
I would also install a program such as Ccleaner and run it to remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. Use the default settings for cleaning and do not use any of the advanced features in the cleaner or use the "Issues" tool which is a registry cleaner.
http://www.winpatrol.com/
http://www.ccleaner.com/

After cleaning up, etc. and you don't notice any change in page loading, I would next look to problems with internet connection and malware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hello All,

The most interesting thing occurred. About 2 months ago whenever I attempted to get unto the internet my dial up sound disappeared. I did not think much about it. However after writing this thread more particularly on 16 March 2007 my wife informed me that she found out that we were having modem and other driver problems. She inserted the motherboard c.d. found the problems and repaired or restored the drivers. Don't know what she did but as a result of which the sound was restored. The whole system has improved. Startup and web page loading has accelerated immensely, as if we have a new computer.

I decided to wait a while before doing anything for a while. To date all is holding well.

I have ran virus and malware and all related scans and p.c. health is good. I also used Ccleaner. I have checked everything I can but the system works beautifully.

However our sincere thanks to you is herewith relayed. I have printed all reply threads for future reference. Best regards.

Bassy2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users