Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Vs. Xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have Windows Vista Home Premium at home sitting in it's box not doing anything. Now I would love to install in on my laptop but am wondering will my programs work in vista and is vista stable? I have used vista before and I found that I could not use nero 6 in it and I do not want to pay for it again so what can I do about that?

Windows XP Pro or Vista Home Premium for me? :huh:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. Its available free from Microsoft.com. Just do a search for it.

It'll tell you which drivers and programs are compatible with Vista.

Good luck!
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

With new releases of Windows operating systems, it does not pay to be on the cutting edge. I would suggest your waiting at least until MS issues its first service pack for Vista.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

If you're waiting for the first service pack (Codename: FIJI), you won't be waiting long. I've heard that Microsoft is looking at releasing a service pack either Q4 2007 or Q1 2008.

More info: VistaSP1.net

3939.png

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:23 AM

More info: VistaSP1.net

That pretty much sums it up... :huh:

I also consider myself cutting edge...my retail box of Vista Home P. is on the shelf, and I have been tempted many times to give up XP and go to Vista. I managed to find all applicable Vista drivers for my system as well as the software. However, after doing a lot of thinking, I'm sticking with my XP installation at least until the summer.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

In the meantime, it won't hurt to keep up on newsreports and scan the BC Vista forum for items of interest, or just read some of the good Vista Tutorials that cover the new features.
As with most new versions of Windows, there are bound to be interface problems with other applications. For example, some ISPs are not (yet) Vista-compatible.
Incidentally, most companies are taking a "wait and see" attitude whilst they test Vista.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

Nero has recently released an update to help with the compatibility problems. That's sorta the price that we pay for being on the cutting edge of technology - some stuff just doesn't want to play nicely! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

I think Nero7 w/ the update is the only version supported for Vista.

Personally I'd hold off Vista for a year or so. There isn't really any compelling reason to upgrade from XP aside from the extra eyecandy, and it isn't worth it for the potential compatibility problems you're likely to run into.

If you're really gung-ho about adopting it early you could set up a dual boot with it and XP. I have a copy of Ultimate that I'm pretty much not going to even bother with until DX10 games start coming out to where you must have Vista to play.
Posted Image

#9 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

Vista is staying in it's box! :huh: I had it installed on my last computer I sold to work with it and it has a lot of issues Microsoft have to fix. Thanks guys for your input.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

FWIW - I've got Vista Ultimate installed on my old Toshiba M45 laptop with 1 gB of RAM and it works well (a bit slow for videos tho'). But then again, I only use a few apps and know how to force them to play nice with Vista - so the issues for me are minimal (no ITunes and no Nero especially).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

I haven't had many problems, legacy programs (apps from more than five years ago) don't play nice but I can get them to work. Drivers, specifically video drivers, can be problematic. At least Creative Labs released drivers for my X-FI card.

Just a little note, Microsoft has released a compatibility update, if you are having problems running certain programs, consider downloading it through Windows Update. More information can be found here.

Edited by DJBPace07, 13 March 2007 - 08:00 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users