Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Internet Connection: Speed Slows Down To Dial-up When Running On Batteries And Not Power Adapter!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Dear members,

I don't know what seems to be wrong with my toshiba laptop 1400-s151 (hardrive 2 years old but still works fine) with window xp home edition. I have verizon fios with 1 MB download speed and 5 MB browsing speed. What happens is, when the power adapter is connected with the laptop to supply power from the power cord and not from the batteries the internet speed works perfectly fine. However, when i disconnected the power adapter from the laptop when the batteries are recharged to 100% , a messages appears on bottom right (where are the icons are ex: time, norton virus icon etc) that a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged. After that I get disconnected for 2-3 seconds but then it reconnects itself back as if i just connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. However, thats besides the real problem which is the speed becomes noticably slow (like dial-up with download speed less the 80 kbs from the usual 700-900 kbs) and it stays slow until I plug back the power adapter when the battery power is runing low. (its as if i go back to dial-up when running on batteries and back to fios running on power adapters...weird!) And when i do plug back the power adapter it gives me yet again the same message (a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged ) for 2-3 seconds then reconnects itself as if i again just now connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. And since the laptop is now running on power adapter and not the batteries the speed comes back to normal (from pervious dial-up speed to FIOS verizon speed). It has been doing this for over an year and i dont know why and what causing this (ran norton virus and other spyware tools but nothing changes). Therefore, can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can fix the problem? Anything will help! I will be waiting for your useful suggestions and remarks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

sounds interesting. some ideas>
check over the governing power management, likely toshiba power management. look at all the settings. maybe change everything to default.
go to www.toshiba.com download the latest a)chipset drivers b)power management utilities (chipset drivers not necessarily anything to do with this, but not a abd idea anyway) c)latest bios update for your laptop.

try theseto see if you have any better bandwidth , post back with any questions.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

There are certain settings on your wireless adapter's software or on your network that pertain to "power save polling." This occurs sometimes when switching between AC and battery, and may affect the wireless connection to the internet. Please refer to this link for more details http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm
drymobius

#4 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

sounds interesting. some ideas>
check over the governing power management, likely toshiba power management. look at all the settings. maybe change everything to default.
go to www.toshiba.com download the latest a)chipset drivers b)power management utilities (chipset drivers not necessarily anything to do with this, but not a abd idea anyway) c)latest bios update for your laptop.

what should i do with the one that i already installed? don't i need to uninstalled the previous bios if i dowloaded a undated bios if they have it or any other downloads? please letme know as i don't want to do anything that will mess up my laptop

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

for the latest chipset and power management, no, you dont have to uninstall , simply re-install over top of it. same thing goes for the bios, there should be a windows update utility for the laptop so you dont even have to boot to a floppy to update your bios. this is important, dont let it scare you, but when flashing the bios, make sure your laptop dosent power off unless it tells you flash is done. plugi your ac adapter.
other than that, noworries mate.
here is a link to the downloads you need. this is a US site, good if you bought lap in the states. if you bought it in canada, please visit www.toshiba.ca
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...kceghdgngdgmn.0

put in your model as you didnt specify what family it was.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

before i do that, do u think the problem is because of my battery which is more then 4 years old and last only 15-20 min (when it was suppose to last at least 1 hr. 30 minutes) because i over charged it many times?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users