Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hello,

I'm starting building my new system, however, I need one component. my choices are either...

The X1950XT

or

The 8800GTS

Any opinion is welcome.
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

8800GTS faster and more future-proof.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

According to THIS comparison chart at Toms Hardware.com, the 8800GTS is faster. Note that the closest they had to your card was the x1950xtx, although I was unable to find the card you listed on newegg.com (the x1950xt, although newegg had the x1950xtx).

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Be sure to check a few different benchmarks on that link I provided :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 12 March 2007 - 02:10 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

8800GTS is the best bang for buck right now. I have the 640MB version, it's very good. The 320MB version isn't bad either, though.
Posted Image

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

Is running DirectX 10 important to you?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

Having a DirectX 10 capable card now is good if you want to future proof. If you're going for the GTX version make sure you have room in the case before you install it, the GTS will fit in most cases. If you get the 8800, I suggest an eVGA card. They have very good support.

3939.png

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies, It looks like The 8800 is going to win here, Now comes the task of finding a place that sells it at a good price,

Any ideas?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

Which model?
The GTS comes in a 320MB and 640MB flavor. If you're sticking to a budget, you might want to go with the 320, those go for around $300.
Posted Image

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies, It looks like The 8800 is going to win here, Now comes the task of finding a place that sells it at a good price,

Any ideas?

I deal with Newegg.com for all my online purchases, if anything because their customer support is top notch IMHO. I've had to RMA a few things, and it was hassle free and they were nothing but helpful and polite.

8800GTS list from Newegg.com.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:32 AM

Thanks stevealmighty that works out quite nicely, I shall be getting that shortly.

Thanks everyone
Regards,

Alan.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Glad to help! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users