Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed Up Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkIntellect

DarkIntellect

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

I don't have any time to feel out my profile or anything like that, sorry. I'm in need of computer help pronto. Hoping I won't need to reboot the whole thing. This noob is mildly retarded when it comes to computers. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure where this goes, so if a staff member needs to move this thread I apologize.

I was trying to tweak Emule and I screwed up my IP address/LAN thing.(As I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers). I can't get on the Net my usual way now. I'm on a different wireless network that has a very weak signal. These are the exact directions I followed from a friend of mine on another site who was trying to help me with Emule.

Port Forwarding: These are settings you need to change in your NAT router. If you don't have a NAT router then you don't need to worry about this. One way to quickly find out if you have a NAT router is to go to Start->Run and type

cmd

if you are on Windows 2000/XP/Vista or

winipcfg

if you have Windows 95/98*DarkIntellect (in which case I recommend upgrading). A command prompt will appear. From there type

ipconfig

It will show you your LAN IP address. If it starts with 192.168. then you definitely have a NAT router. Write this IP address down because you need it to enable port forwarding. To begin configuring your NAT router, goto http://192.168.0.1/ or in some cases http://192.168.1.1/ This is not an Internet site but your router's config screen. One form of port forwarding is called "enable DMZ" which means forward all connections attempts. You just have to enter the LAN IP of the computer you want to receive the connections. If you only want to forward connections to specific ports on specific protocols, use port forwarding. You should be able to configure either one of these options from your router's config screen.

This was where I messed up. I can no longer connect via linksys. For what it's worth, I'm on a laptop. If you need any more info just ask.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 March 2007 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:27 AM

Can yu please give me the exact type nr of your linksys?

#3 DarkIntellect

DarkIntellect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

:thumbsup: nr?
Sorry

Edited by DarkIntellect, 12 March 2007 - 07:34 AM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

You say you have a linksys router. Which type this is improtant to establish which mode we have to follow

#5 DarkIntellect

DarkIntellect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

As I've said, I'm not the sharpest when it comes to computers. I take it you're not talking about my adapter, correct? What does nr stand for?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

DarkIntellect,

I'm going to presume that fozzie is asking what Brand and Model number of router you are working with. So far we know its a Linksys. Now if you can advise us which particular model number, that will help us help you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 DarkIntellect

DarkIntellect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

Would I be able to find out externally or in my computer itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users