Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working Without A Mouse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

I have Windows XP Home SP2 on an HP Pavilion desktop. My web searching skills are improving, but sometimes I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. My problem: Once or twice a month, after bringing my PC out of standby, the mouse has stopped working. (Logitech MX1000 wireless laser mouse.) I've tried re-installing, updating drivers, etc.; nothing has worked. The only solution I have found is to press the Windows key on the keyboard and navigate my way to a re-boot using the arrow keys. That works, but I am wondering if I could just find a way to shut down and re-start the mouse program only (KEM.exe, I believe), if that would work. If it did, it would surely be much faster than re-booting the entire PC. In fact, I happen to have a Microsoft keyboard with several shortcut keys that I do not use. It would be really neat if it were possible to program a couple of these to stop and start the mouse program. Could even just one key be set up to stop AND restart the mouse program? These are all just thoughts; my first goal is to find out if re-starting the mouse program can be done at all using only the keyboard. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

One of the things I liked about Windows 3.11 (eek!) was the keyboard commands. Microsoft has wisely kept keyboard commands, and even added a few.

You could try this. I'm not familiar with your mouse so I'm not sure it'll work, but it'll allow you to close the program and then manualy activate it.

Press <CTRL><ALT><DEL> to bring up the Windows Task Manager (or, alternatively, <CRTL><SHIFT><ESC>)

Use the <TAB> and arrow keys to go to the "Processes" tab.

Use the <TAB> and arrow keys to highlight the KEM.exe process.

Press Delete to end the process and then <ENTER> to confirm.

Press <ALT><F4> to close the Task Manager.

Press the <Windows key><E> (the letter "e", that is) to open Windows Explorer.

Use the <TAB> and arrows keys to navigate to the KEM.exe program file (you may want to make a shortcut in an easily accessible location) and press <ENTER> to start it.

Let us know!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 March 2007 - 08:59 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Instead of "restarting" your machine. Try using the "connect" button on the charging base and the red button on the bottom of the mouse. This will reestablish your wireless connection between the receiver/charging stand and the mouse? This often happens if you have items blocking the RF signal path between the mouse and the receiver on "wake up". Let us know it that helps.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

Animal: Pressing the reset buttons was the first thing I tried... several times. I neglected to note that.

Andrew: Thank you for the instructions. I will write them down, and try them the next time it happens.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hate to state the obvious, but -

did you try new batteries in the mouse?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

No. It's old enough that I can't exchange it , but much too new to have to need a new battery. It has a battery level indicator, and can continue working for hours after one of these "crashes". This thing was "spendy" enough as it is. I'm not quite ready to order a replacement just yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users