Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convertxtodvd Causes Sudden System Power Off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sl0play

sl0play

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:31 AM

I have a HP DV4170us notebook computer. I have used various programs to edit and encode video on it in the past with no problem.

When I run ConvertXtoDVD 2 and attempt to create a DVD from an avi, it works fine for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour and my computer instantly and without warning powers off. Upon reboot, I get no errors from windows, and there is no information in the system event manager. The log file for ConvertXtoDVD contains no data since the shutdown occurs instantly.

I have used QA+ 32bit to run a complete system test, including a rigorous memory test and HDD test, and have no problems detected. I formatted and re-installed windows about a month ago, and so I should have the newest drivers for all my hardware. I also used Perfect Disk to defrag and optimize my HDD.

The laptop does not seem any hotter than usual when it shuts off, and the problem happens regardless of the 'priority level' I set for the encode process in the ConvertXtoDVD options menu.

My system is a Centrino with 1GB of DDR2 RAM and an on-board Intel video chip-set.

If any more information is needed for proper diagnosis, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help.

-Sl0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sl0play

sl0play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

Ok, I have now tried in Nerovision Express as well and it does it there too. Must be a hardware issue?

I will repost in the hardware forum.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

Try disabling the automatically restart on system failure feature. Then you are able to read what messages appear on the blue screen and post that back here for some one to lol at.

Click Start Button

On the Start Menu click Control Panel

When the Control Panel window opens click on the System icon

The system properties window opens

Click the Advanced tab

In the Advanced tab window locate the Start and Recovery section and press the Settings button

When the settings window opens look for the System failure section

Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option

Click OK to Exit

#4 sl0play

sl0play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

Thx,

I never have that option enabled, I have to manually restart the machine, and when I do there is no error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users