Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question On Disk Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:00 AM

Hello to all! :thumbsup:
I was using my disk defragmenter when the error box came out saying cannot clean this file so i viewed the details of the report in doing so i found Windows System32 cannot be defragmented is there anything or anyway on how to skip and continue with the rest of the files?
T.Y. in advance! :flowers:
-Commander Gman

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:16 AM

Try running your defrag in safe mode. Let us know if that helps. Otherwise try some of the freeware defrag applications available.

Diskeeper Lite
Auslogics
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

Ok thanks budapest but while im doing that,do anyone of you know the BEST defragmenting programs that you had ever used(freeware)? if so pls.post t.y.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:11 AM

I like Diskeeper Lite. Another freeware one that I installed just recently and think is good is IObit SmartDefrag. It's still in Beta but I haven't had any problems with it. It has an automatic defrag utility that will defrag in the background, but personally I don't like this so I disabled it and just use it for manual defragging.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

DiskeeperLite and the Windows XP defragmentor are one and the same, with only a slightly different GUI.
Under normal conditions and if used on a regular basis, this does well enough, and you do not have to add another application to your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

Well.If that is all then t.y. for all the info
seemingly,The Disk Defragmenter cannot continue to the other files if one file cannot be defragmented
I would rather use another program in doing so..like the one you've suggested :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users