Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Put Windows Xp On An External Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

I recently got an external harddrive (im one that seems to have many computer problems, they chase me around i swear) but anyway, back to the point...i bought this external harddrive and for awhile i've been thinking about how to get Windows XP on it and use it as a full system backup, so incase my Internal Harddrive fails, i can boot up on my external and have everything that was on my internal on it, and continue about my business until i can have my internal fixed.

I really hope that made sense, I reread it too...

I feel this answer is staring me in the face, but i dont want to do anything wrong and mess something up... I have a Windows XP OS Disc and i have Windows Live One Care which has a backup and restore option on it, if that helps in any way. But yea...basically i wanna make 1 giant copy lol Any help appreciated.

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:07 AM

Hello,

I would take the hard drive out of the external case, and switch it with the one in the tower. install xp on it then remove it from the tower and put the one that was in the tower originally in to the tower again.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:14 AM

You can get imaging software which will backup your entire hard drive to the external drive. This is called creating an image. Then, if something goes wrong you can restore your hard drive using this image and you should be off and running. But you won't be able to run your system straight from the external drive, you'll need to restore the image first. Not exactly what you were looking for but it might be of interest.

Acronis True Image can do this but it's not freeware. There are probably some freeware apps out there that can do the same.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Ok, thank you

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

I read somewhere that a European Police force (I forget which country) was able to install Windows XP on a 4GB flash drive for their officers to carry and log on to the VPN quickly and easily from anywhere.

They had to get special permission from Microsoft to do it, and a team of software engineers to actually figure out how.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users