Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do The Spyware Removal Tools Mentioned On These Forums Work On Vista?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SEE

SEE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi

I am a relatively recent new member to these forums and this is my first question. While I am currently virus and spyware-free (using OneCare 1.5), I was wondering if the removal tools mentioned here (e.g., Smitfraud. exe or Vundofix.exe) would work on Vista if needed? OneCare doesn't quite catch everything so would these tools work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:55 AM

Onecare has been rated, on benchmarking (which you can browse for) as fairly low on the efficiency scale. Vista has a good spyware program, on by default (Defender) For myself, The anti-virus programs I have tried are AVGFree, Avast and Nod32. All are totally compatible with Vista and have free releases. I stay with AVG, which takes very few resources and has not let me down on XP or Vista.

#3 SEE

SEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

Yes, I am aware of those ratings and specifically why they are low. They are based primarily on the use of IE to block cookies and lack of i e-mail scanning.What many of these tests fail to mention is that OC does block suspected e-mail attachments from opening and will disable suspect links It is not the AV that I am questioning. I use OC 1.5 with Defender capability built in. Again, what I am searching for is an answer regarding whether the tools mentioned for additional removal will work with Vista

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

Sorry, you obviously have more knowledge than me on the subject. I,ll leave it to someone with knowledge of those tools to reply. I had thought, in my ignorance, that any updated spy removal tool would remove thos two spyware items, and that one would not need a specific tool for either. As you are obviously aware, Windows mail has , in any case, an option for not opening attachments automatically.

Edited by uhaligani, 13 March 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

The Vundofix tool works. :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 SEE

SEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

No apologies required, just a simple misunderstanding regarding what I needed. And many of the veterans of this board have much more working knowledge than I do.

Also, thanks to the most recent poster for the Vundofix note. Hopefully, I'll never need to use it.

SEE

#7 smb12321

smb12321

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

In XP I used Spyware Terminator. I installed VISTA and kept getting a popup on startup asking for a disc. I was told it was ST so I uninstalled it and no more problems. I went to ST's website but they did not address the problem (which seems pretty common). Good luck.

#8 Giedrius M

Giedrius M

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

NOD32 messed up my Vista ULTIMATE once (after downloading vista updates, internet stoped working without warning, it was NOD32 issue), so I removed it from my pc. The thing is, I am running a 64 bit windows VISTA, so, my choices are even more limited :huh: Some anti-spyware programs claim to work on vista, but not on vista 64., Like spyware sweeper, spyware doctor. I am waiting for better support for 64bit platforms.
My blog majauskas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users