Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hanging/rebooting Automatically - Vcore?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

Sorry if this is short when you see it: I'm typing in batches so I can get through the reboots.

On Feb 22nd, computer rebooted while I was surfing the internet for no apparent reason. It never fully came back up that day. Took it to Atlanta where my dad has some spare PCs, and started fiddling with it. Finally got to the point (randomly) where I discovered I could get it to boot, but to the second HDD (see specs below). Disconnected the second HDD, and it booted fine to the primary HDD. Wierd, but ok.

Fast forward to today, and it's doing it again. There's no powerdown, no sounds, no nothing. Just *poof*, screen is black and same sounds eminate from the PC. I get normal post sounds, mobo gives a green light, HDDs seem to be working fine. So my logical guess is hardware. I used the PC-probe that ASUS supplied, and I also downloaded MBM5. The specs line up for both, and this is what they are:

ASUS A7V600 Socket A BIOS v
AMD Athlon 2500+ XP std clock/core
ATI Radeon 9500 XT
Win XP Home OEM
512MB mem

Measurements:
CPU: 1821-1824MHz, 107-122F, 1.72V (is supposed to be 1.65?)
Case: 95-96F
3.3: 3.06-3.12
5.0: 3.18-4.08
+12: 11.43-11.61
-12: -.10-.06
Fans all look normal

Nothing in the Event Log, save for System Restore errors. I've turned Automatic Rebooting off, doesn't matter.
Noticed the last two logs for MBM show my Vcore now at 1.61, and it's stable (at least for now). Only problem is, I couldn't ramp it down if I wanted to (BIOS shows it at 1.65V, and there is no lower option).

EDIT: 1.61 didn't make it more stable. After reading up on the power supply, I'm under what is stated to be the minimum voltage for the PSU. Would this give these characteristics? If so, I'll go ahead and order a replacement.

Edited by CocheseUGA, 11 March 2007 - 10:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:19 AM

Yes, your power supply is the problem, and it has just these kind of symptoms. When you get a new power supply make sure you get a good brand like CoolerMaster, Enermax, Fortron Source (FSP Group), OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec, Verax or Zalman.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Replaced PSU, no dice. Posting on PSP, comp is dead. Green light on mobo, red light on case. CPU & case fans spool up, no post. Can't afford too much more trial & error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users