Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple "http 404 Page Not Found" Messages...why?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hello to all,Just 2 days ago I was having problems with my desktop icons and start tab not showing,and I must have fixed it based on the responses from here,but now I have another problem.

Several websites that I normally visit showed a message "http 404 Page not found".The pages included the log in page to yahoo,the buying page for ebay and the log in page for my webhost.I have noticed that all of these pages have to do with logging in,or giving information of some sort.I have a feeling that the problem is stemming from that.Possibly the secure pages?

Out of curiosity,I used my moms computer,and was able to find the page,and log in to each one,without a problem,so I know that it has something to do with my computer.

If anyone has somle ideas what it could be,please tell me.
Thanks in advance.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 March 2007 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

Depending on the browser you are using, your security settings for these particular sites may be set too high, thus preventing your logging in.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

Its not that I cant log in,I cant access the pages at all.
Any ideas?

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:35 AM

Here some info

he 404 or Not Found error message is an HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but either the server could not find what was requested, or it was configured not to fulfill the request and not reveal the reason why. 404 errors should not be confused with "server not found" or similar errors, in which a connection to the destination server cannot be made at all.

Wikipedia on 404 pages

There could be a lot of issues causing this. For starters you could, if you get a 404 error page immediately go to the Eventviwer ( START RUN type eventvwr) and look for white crosses in red dots. Please post them here so we have an idea

#5 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for replying Fozzie,Okay was not able to copy the log after running eventvwr,So I am not sure how to post it here.
I can tell you that after Running Eventvwr,and clicking on the System tab,there were many Errors( with Red dots and white x's inside.Almost everyone of them had "DCOM" as the source,and when I clicked properties, it said "error-The system cannot find the file specified.

Almost everyone of these Errors are for 3-11-2007,which was yesterday,and the first time I started having this problem.Maybe it has something to do with it?

Hope you can help.Thanks.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

Edited by fozzie, 12 March 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#7 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

Thanks again for replying Fozzie.
Windows xp as well as AOL was already on my computer when I bought it,so my computer did not come with any disc.Will this be okay?

Also,I am afraid that it will some how damage my Road Runner and I will have to have someone fix it.I have a wireless Road Runner Connection with only a little thing stuck into the port in front of my computer.

Do you beleive I will be okay.I have tried searching for this problem.but I could not find much information.

Thanks in advance.

#8 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

After reading a message on a website,I was told to unclick "allow 3rd party extensions".I did this and now everytime I try to click on one of the website pages I was having trouble with,I first get a message saying that I am going on to a secure site,and then I now get the message "web page cannot be displayed" and a dns error at the bottom of the page.

I have found a couple things that may fix it,but some require you to do things that could possibly damage your computer,so I dont want to jump the gun.
If anyone can help please do.Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users