Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical Memory Destroyed...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

Ok, i came back from my spring break today (back to my computer in my dorm), and it seems to be incredibly slow. I checked the system information, and i noticed that my physical memory is NOWHERE NEAR what it usually is...

Posted Image

It's usually around the 800/900 mark. There are no other programs running besides the system information and GAIM, and all the running processes look clean, meaning there's nothing out of the ordinary in the process list. It's weird, because i just came back from spring break, and it's incredibly slow.....

Would the power source have anything to do with this? For some reason, an outlet in the wall is jacked up, so i have my computer plugged into a multi-socket surge protector, and THAT surge protector plugged into another multi-socket surge protector, and that plugged into the wall. Would that be what's causing the slow-down? If not, what are some other explanations? It's been turned off for a little over a week, and there's no programs running that would destroy the resources...

Thanx in advance for any reply...

EDIT: It seems my CPU usage is abnormally high as well, and fluctuating like crazy. It's either in the 90's % or up and down from 80% to 20%.... I've also tried restarting MULTIPLE times, and it seems my internet connection randomly works at start up..... i can't pinpoint what's causing it to connect or not connect, but it does sporadically....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 11 March 2007 - 08:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Your power supply should not be the cause. Your actual physical memory is 1,042MB, but your available is half that. I may be wrong here, but there must be some application that is using an inordinate amount of memory. Was your computer secure during your absence?
You could download Process Explorer to determine what is using it:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 March 2007 - 08:07 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

Ok, i downloaded that process viewer (thanx for the link), and it seems the resource hog is something called "HARDWARE INTERRUPTS"..... no idea what that is...
Posted Image

Also, when i try to update my computer through Windows Update, i can't get past this screen. I always click "Register or Install", then "Continue", and it goes back to the very beginning of "Searching for Updates", and brings me right back to the screen shown:
Posted Image
These 2 things may or may not be related....

EDIT: Sorry, keep editting posts, not exactly constructive.... anyway, i tried killing the process, and it gave me an error message of "Incorrect Parameters".....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 11 March 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

I have taken you about as far as I can go with my limited expertise in this area; hopefully someone with more hardware experience can help you. I trust you have scanned your computer with your AV and anti-spyware applications, just to rule malware out. What happens if you boot in Safe Mode, do you have the same kind of usage figures?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 March 2007 - 08:28 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

Would dust have anything to do with it? I mean, i doubt that much could've built up in a week, but is it even a possibility?

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Tried booting into safe mode, and it all seemed ok until i tried to open up Firefox..... it took about 1 minutes to load the page, and nothing else would run. However, even with no programs running, the CPU usage was 0..... I think if there are absolutely no programs running, the cpu usage settles down and goes back to normal, but once i open a single program, it jumps up to about 50%, then anything more than that, and it freaks out to 90+%. So, i can't have Gaim and Firefox running without MASSIVE slowdown and an insane amount of resources being hogged......

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

Would there be any hardware issues that would cause this sort of thing? I'm thinking about doing a reinstall of XP, but i really hope that it doesn't come down to that. I tried opening up the case and blowing all the dust out, JUST IN CASE that had something to do with it, but it didn't help.

Could there be a weak connection somewhere that would be causing this?

EDIT : Ok, seriously, wtf..... now it's running perfectly normal, no problems, no slowdown.... the cpu process is back to normal, but when i check my system information, it still says my availble memory is only 524 out of 1,024..... but i don't really notice any decrease in (normal) performance.... Well, i'm pleased that it seems to be ok (for now), but what's to stop this from happening again.........?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 12 March 2007 - 01:10 AM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

Try going to Control panel> Administative Tools>Event Viewer and see if anything abnormal shows up in there
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users