Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Installed Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 computermouse

computermouse

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

I got an dvd burner for my birthday, and finally got the time to install it today. I followed the instructions on a few websites that I googled (it didn't look too hard...)

The dvd drive will open and shut, and when I put a dvd in I can hear it spinning. But my computer won't recognise the drive. It does not show up on My Computer (I'm assuming an icon should've appeared near the one for my cd drive). I also tried to look for the drive through the Add Hardware function in the control panel, but my computer does not detect a new drive.

So, I am totally out of ideas and have no clue whats wrong.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Does it show up in the BIOS? How about in the device manager? If it's in the device manager, and has a yellow caution sign, right click it, uninstall and restart your computer. Windows should find it and reinstall it. If it's not there or in the BIOS, check to make sure the cable is connected, try reconnecting it and make sure you didn't pull it loose from the motherboard. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 computermouse

computermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

uh... I have no clue how to access the BIOS or the device manager.

I don't think its loose from the motherboard, because the cd drive works, and it is attached to the same ribbon like cord.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Check the jumper settings on the rear of the new drive.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 computermouse

computermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

okay, I need advice in non-computer language :flowers:
I have no clue what a jumper setting is :thumbsup:

here is a picture of the back of the drive:
Posted Image
the red is where I plugged the ribbon-like plug in, and the blue is where I plugged the cord with the red, yellow, black etc... cords attached.

The dvd drive came with this Posted Image on one of the pins, but I dont remember where it was. I took it out because the long plug wouldnt fit. Maybe this screwed it up? where should I put this back on?

Thanks!

Edited by computermouse, 12 March 2007 - 08:15 PM.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply computermouse!! :thumbsup:

The red box you have indicated on the diagram is where you plug the IDE cable in (ribbon-like plug). The blue box indicated on your diagram is where you plug in the power connector.

The tiny white plastic bit you removed is used to cover the 'jumper' settings. Basically a jumper setting tells the computer whether or not your drive is a PRIMARY/MASTER or SECONDARY/SLAVE device. It's possible that your hard drive is set to MASTER and that your drive is also set to MASTER thus a conflict between the two.

If you look at the top or the bottom of the DVD you may find a small diagram detailing where to insert your 'white plastic bit'.

Usually your computer's hard disk is set to MASTER and your DVD drive is set to SLAVE.

Hope that helps, if not pop back!! :flowers:
Posted Image

#7 computermouse

computermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

I'm not sure where I can find the master/slave area. The closest thing on the drive to that is the letters

C S M
S L A

I thought that SL would stand for slave, but if I put the white bit there, it interferes with the space for the IDE cable. I even counted the pins to make sure, theres 20 holes on the cable, and 20 pins in the drive. So I am really confused! The other letters on the drive are:
DIGITAL
DO G

AUDIO
R G G L

C S M
S L A

39-IDE NTERFACE-1
40 - - - - - - - - - - - - 2

POWER
+5 G G +12

( I tried to line all the letters up like how its on the drive, but for some reason when i post, they get all out of line.)

Edited by computermouse, 13 March 2007 - 10:40 PM.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

FireKracker has your question answered for the most part, but I'll try and clarify.

the lettering that says:

C S M
S L A

corresponds to a block of six or so pins directly to the left of where you plug in the ribbon cable. You do have it there, I can see it on your picture. The jumper fits vertically on two of those pins to configure it as a master or slave drive. Typically the ribbon cable you're using to connect these drives can accept two devices, but in order for them not to fight for access one has to be configured or "jumpered" as a master, and the other as a slave. If this drive is sitting by itself on the ribbon cable you can jumper it however you like, but I would recommend setting it as a master. If the drive is sharing the ribbon with another device, you need to make certain that one device is jumpered as a master and the other as a slave.

To demonstrate this, here's our block of pins,

:::

The first colon starting from the left is the setting for cable select. Avoid this setting, it causes problems.

The middle colon is slave, and the far right is master.
Let's say we want to set the drive as master, and these brackets are our jumper [ ]
so it would look like this.

::[:]

To set it as a slave, it would look like this,

:[:]:

Again, if you have two devices sharing one ribbon cable, set one device as master, one as slave. There is usually a key diagram printed on the device to tell you which pair of pins to put the jumper on (you've already found the key for your DVD burner). If the drive is by itself on the cable, it's good practice to set it as master.
Posted Image

#9 computermouse

computermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

I totally understand what you're saying, but the 6 pins are sitting under the:
AUDIO
R G G L section.

The
C S M
S L A
section in the same line of pins as the
39-IDE NTERFACE-1
40 - - - - - - - - - - - - 2
section, so if I put the plastic bit there, the IDE cable won't fit.

Thats whats confusing me!

Thanks for the explanation!

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Nice post arcman!! :thumbsup:

Computermouse, hopefully the diagrams below will help you understand more. If not post another picture of the rear of your DVD drive and we can tell you where to add the 'tiny piece of plastic'.! Appologies to those concerned if these images take up valuable space!

Below are six diagrams, all relating to jumper settings. All vary in complexity - just choose the one that you understand the most!

1) Posted Image

2) Posted Image

3) Posted Image

4) Posted Image

5) Posted Image

6) Posted Image

Hope this helps

Edited by FireKracker, 14 March 2007 - 09:26 AM.

Posted Image

#11 computermouse

computermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

wheeeeee!!!

It works :trumpet:

I guess it was just the misplacing of the plastic bit thingy that screwed things up. I guess next time I should take a closer look...

Thanks for all the help!! :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by computermouse, 14 March 2007 - 05:26 PM.

#12 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

Glad it worked!! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Edited by FireKracker, 16 March 2007 - 03:52 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users