Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Drives Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alienspazms

alienspazms

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

I noticed earlier this week, when trying to burn a CD, that neither my CD nor DVD ROM drives were working. They are not showing up on my computer, as well as anything I put it is not being read by the computer. I checked the wiring and found no problems, so I checked the device manager. Both drives show up there but with a yellow box with an exclamation point inside of it. I checked the properties of both and got the same message. "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" The troubleshooters did not help me. I'm running Windows XP Home, and the drives have worked up until I would say about a week ago. If anyone can help me, please do!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Try to reseat the cables. Also try right clicking the devices in the Device manager and uninstall, restart windows and see if they pick up. Also check your BIOS if they are showing up there.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 alienspazms

alienspazms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

If I uninstall and restart, they won't be deleted? My parents bought my computer a few years back, pre-built with everything installed, so I don't have the driver discs, and I want to make sure they'll still be there... thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

If they are connected, Windows should find them and reinstall them. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 i82much

i82much

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Try here
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...DD-2224A4FEB3EA
I had some problems with my dvd went there...typed in error code and found solution
Hope this helps

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

If you recently have removed either Easy CD creator or Direct CD try this

Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry Please look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer.

Here some more reading material

Edited by fozzie, 13 March 2007 - 09:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users