Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery Cd Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dennetman

dennetman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

My wife's XP Home OS would not so much as put anything to the screen. While I was out of town, my son played with it and got it to load in safe mode. There was a choice to be made, and the one he picked was to "refresh". Now all we get is the LED light on the on/off button - which works. The internal fan comes on/stays on for approx. 30 seconds, then stops and the screen remains black, not even a flicker. I put the recovery CD in and held down the "C" when powering up as it's instructions indicate, but nothing other than what's described above occurs. Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot or restore this computer would be appreciated!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

When you press the power button does anything come on screen at all?
It could be that it has overheated, or the graphics drivers have corrupted themselves. if nothing comes onscreen, its probably a hardware fault, leave the system for a couple of hours, then try booting it up.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 dennetman

dennetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for responding! I have the sinking feeling it is hardware related. After being off for several hours, the same black screen syndrome (not even a flicker of life). The fan goes on for 30 seconds then off - end of cycle. The dvd drive doesn't appear to be operational under these circumstances either.

jd

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

Open the tower, and make sure all the components are seated correctly, for example the RAM and PCI cards as well as the graphics card. if they all look to be good, try removing the hard drive if you have a spare system, try the HDD in there, see if it boots up.

It sounds as if the system has loaded the bios and has started to load XP but encounters a serious error and shuts itself down, could you say how old the system is?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 dennetman

dennetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Sorry I neglected to mention it is a two year old Toshiba M35X-S349 laptop. But I think your idea is a good one, and I will remove what I can to be sure the components are seated properly.

Again, thank you for your willingness to help!

jd

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

No problem, keep us informed.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 dennetman

dennetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

The only access readily available is the cover to the memory. Either opening this cover helped, or being more patient to let the system boot on the recovery CD was the answer. Things are still amiss though. The system recovered and I saw Bill's note saying the computer just recovered from a serious error. But once the sytem was completely booted, the screen went blank on its own, and then reloaded to the pass code box, then on to the Welcome screen indicating personal settings are loading - where it has locked up. On older Windows systems, I recall a check-disc utility that would repair corrupt tracks. Does XP Home SP2 have that feature (or do you have any suggestions of something else to remidy this situation?). Any way you slice it, I feel hope rising from the ashes! I will shut this down and try again. I hope not to have to reformat the hard drive if possible, but I'm willing if need be.

jd

#8 dennetman

dennetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hello, before taking anymore of your time, after approx. 2 dozen reboots followed by lockups etc. I opted for reformatting the hard drive. A hassle for sure, but so was trying to repair it. Fortunately most of what is scrubbed is recoupable on a back-up drive (my wife incidentally gave me a Seagate USB hard drive for Christmas - nice dividend for her don't you think?).

Your encouragement and ideas are much appreciated. It kept me going far enough along not to take it to a repair service, + finally get the restore CD to operate.

Thank you!

John

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

No probs, glad to have helped.
Regards,

Alan.