Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Students Arrested for Cyber Bullying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:30 AM

Students Arrested for Cyber Bullying. We all know about high school bullying but have you heard of cyber-bullying? It's real and three Loranger High School students have been arrested for it. As WAFB's Marie Centanni reports, student bullying may have gone too far.WAFB - Louisiana's News Channel - Baton rouge, LA (December 6, 2005) We all know about high school bullying but have you heard of cyber-bullying? It's real and three Loranger High School students have been arrested for it. As WAFB's Marie Centanni reports, student bullying may have gone too far. Investigators with the Attorney General's High-Tech Crimes Unit say the situation started when a 15-year-old female student created a website called "Loranger's biggest queer.com." The website featured pictures of a 14-year-old male student. He responded with his own web site, which investigators say included a list of students he called "The Preps," and poems so graphically violent, investigators say "they crossed the line." Kris Wartelle with the Attorney General's Office said, "It sort of was like bullying on the Internet that got even worse, and we're lucky it didn't escalate to something even worse." After seeing the boy's website, a concerned parent alerted the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office. The Attorney General's High Tech Crime Unit was contacted and began an imediate investigation. Authorities confiscated the student's computers.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

Never I'm afraid. Unless some pro-active steps are taken.

I too was bullied through school. I was always the "new kid". Yet I still made some good friends. School age bullies are just confused children or youth. When one is a bully it reflects on the way that they feel inside. They have an insecurity complex. It makes them feel better about themselves and raises thier self esteem, whenever they pick on someone else. They need counseling. There actually could be many reasons behind thier behavior. For example what thier home life is like. Children learn what they live.

Now in this day in age of the internet. It has become even worse. Although the "cyber bully" needs to realize that every action has a reaction. The youth mentioned in this article are lucky that the bullied youth did not take things any further. They really pushed his buttons. I would not endorse any violent actions taken in revenge. But somehow would understand the reasoning behind such actions.

Maybe there should be required courses both in "sensibility training" and "diversity training". Such as there is in the workplace. If we started when they are still young. Maybe there would not be as many of the insensitive individuals that are running around the world today.

Nip it in the bud as it were. It could also lead to less school bullying. The violent actions may be kept to a minimum also. Our youth need to learn to understand to leave others alone.

Besides what ever happened to the "Golden Rule"?

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

And another favorite of mine:

If you do not have anything nice to say, then do not say anything at all.

Edited by scarlett, 08 January 2005 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:55 AM

As young people become more and more computer savvy, and just about every study indicates they are more comfortable with computers and the WEB than their parents, the extension of immature actions has extended to Chat Rooms, IM, blogging, and webpages. Parents and their children certainly need to be educated about how to handle situations like that mentioned in the news article.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:02 PM

I do think that it is very much up to parents to know what their kids are doing on the net. I watch my kids. I do not like them in chat rooms. They know that I do not want them to see some of the bad stuff that happens on the net. They know I worry and therefore do not find me to be intrusive. They know I want to protect them. It is MY responsibility to monitor their behavior on the web. Just my job. If I found out one of my kids was bullying on the school bus, you can bet I would nip that in the bud. Same thing for "cyber bullying". It is my fault if they are doing that because I am supposed to be watching out.. and I am slacking if they participate in that kind of behavior. I was teased in school too. Golly.. who wasn't really to one extent or another. I found my own way to deal with it. And didn't let it affect my outlook on life. Of course tho.. I do think that kids.. who can be SO MEAN to each other.. well I think that the things that they say these days are so much more personal and geared to cause REAL pain, compared to what I was teased about.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users