Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Av Vs Good Spyware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:30 AM

I've been running the evaluation version of Trend Micro's PC-Cillin on both my computers. On my desktop, it tells me that I have the virus PC_GENERIC.ZA, and traces it to a file called 007ssinstall.exe

I know this file; I downloaded it on purpose. It's the install file for 007 Spy Software, which I put in so I could keep an eye on my kid's usage. Is PC-cillin giving me a false positive -- it IS spyware, after all -- or does it really have a virus in it?

Similarly, on my laptop, PC-cillin finds a number of "virus" files called inst.exe. According to various websites, it's related to a Trojan; however, on my computer various copies of inst.exe are in folders related to AOL security software. Could these also be false positives? I think I read that the real virus version would be in a Windows or root folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:10 AM

Hello!
I think that you mentioned 007ssinstall.exe is the setup for the program
Well as you can see we have a conflict between the two
TrendMicro reports it as spyware since 007ss is a monitoring program so considered as spyware since it monitors your privacy keystrokes and more...Trend Micro wants to protect your privacy in doing so...TrendMicro cannot define yet which programs that monitor your PC are friendly or foe like an actual Trojan keylogger from a Newly bought spy software intended to record what is going on in your laptop so you can know what happened when you were out some time..
can you pls give me the version of your TrendMicro PC-Cillin? there is probably an ignore option for the program 007ss so TrendMicro can ignore that program
If you cant seem to put 007ss in one piece in your computer,there are other Spy Software programs out there all you need to do is to look for the one that can withstand detection of your TrendMicro Pc-Cillin

Edited by Commander Gman, 12 March 2007 - 01:55 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

You can confirm your suspicious file whether infected or not.
These site offer a free service for scanning suspicious files using several antivirus engines.
Visit below and then upload it:

VirusTotal
Jotti's Malware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users