Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP incompatible w/ AVG 7.0?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 carrie

carrie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

I use the free version of AVG antivirus software, and just downloaded version 7.0, as the prior version expires at the end of January. It jammed my system (Windows would not start properly), so I had to do a system restore to uninstall the new version.

Is there a known incompatibility problem with XP and AVG v.7.0, and if so, does anyone know a fix for it? AVG has served me well for many years, and I would prefer to keep using it.

Thank you in advance.

Carrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:25 AM

A whole lot of people are having the same problem including me. I don't think AVG 7 is ready yet. Many people are unable to install AVG 7 and it has nothing to do with XP. All good things come to an end and I think AVG is trying to sell their product now rather than give it away.

I have switched to EZTrust Armor which is an anti-virus and firewall all in one. If you only want anti-virus that will help you out. Those are free trials, but you have to click the "buy now" button to get it. It does not cost anything.

Another free one that I hear is pretty good is Avast. Avast is not a trial version but just free to use.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:39 AM

It jammed my system (Windows would not start properly), so I had to do a system restore to uninstall the new version.

This could be because of what was running at the time you installed it.

Is there a known incompatibility problem with XP and AVG v.7.0

No, not exactly. Do you have Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?

I would prefer to keep using it.

So do I. It's a fine free program with aggressive updating.
It also is recognized by the Security Center feature of SP2. That too is good.

I think you should open your task manager and view the processes tab.
ctrl-alt-del held simultaneously.

Most everything running there now is system required.
Not all of it, though.

Any process running you can get additional information about by visiting this site (among others):

answers that work TASK LIST. They sell a product called the Ultimate Troubleshooter.
The information in their database is free because it helps them sell the product.

I came across this information because I too like AVG.
I use AVG7 successfully, but some others like you, carrie have experienced problems.

Four .exes that will load during your boot initialization when installing AVG7 (and allowing all
defaults to occur when you do).

That may be too many.

avgupsvc.exe
avgamsvr.exe
avgemc.exe
avgcc.exe

From the task list:
Grisoft AVGCC.EXE:
AVG 7.0 AntiVirus Control Center. You either have the Control Center currently open, or it is running in your System Tray (the pretty 4-colour icon – Black, Yellow, Green, Red). When running in the System Tray, the icon enables you to open the AVG 7.0 Control Center from the System Tray. From the Control Center you can then fully customize AVG or start the AVG virus scanner itself.

Recommendation :
At the time of writing, 2-Jan-2005, our advice is that it is not a good idea to have the AVG 7.0 Control Center automatically load into the System Tray at startup as on some PCs it causes significant problems : from “Not responding” errors to excessive consumption of memory, extreme slowness of the PC, shutdown problems, inability to go on Standby, and even full computer freezes. This is not good. Our advice, therefore, is to disable this task from starting on the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter. You can still start the AVG Control Center through “Start \ Programs” if you need to open it to configure AVG or start a virus scan, and your PC will continue to be protected against viruses by AVG irrespective of whether or not AVGCC starts automatically at Windows startup.

So, maybe considering what else you have goin' on your PC... and the level of updates you have installed... maybe you should use
this information to do some independent checking before you re-install AVG7
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:57 AM

I too like AVG, but if it doesn't work for you another possibility is AntiVir.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:04 AM

At the time of writing, 2-Jan-2005, our advice is that it is not a good idea to have the AVG 7.0 Control Center automatically load into the System Tray at startup as on some PCs it causes significant problems : from “Not responding” errors to excessive consumption of memory, extreme slowness of the PC, shutdown problems, inability to go on Standby, and even full computer freezes.

Another reason to believe its not ready yet. Or its purposely buggy and they are hoping people will buy the full edition out of frustration. Remember AVP (Kapersky)? It was a great anti-virus that finally grew up and turned into subscribe only. They still have a trial version also.

The biggest complaint I have been hearing about is when you install 7 its supposed to uninstall 6 but only gets about 1/2 of it and crashes. From that point on you are SOOL.

I'll let AVG get it ready before I give it another try. Can you say SP2?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

Yes, I can say Sp2 & AVG work quite well, now. I can also say it took a little doing. :thumbsup:
I'm glad I learned to make them work.

#7 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:01 PM

I have seen many of these same complaints posted in many forums and yet I installed it and run it daily without any problems. Compareing many of the posts and looking at the systems specks when given I have yet to find a common cause.
To me it's still a mystery why some with the same basic configureations have problems and others don't.

Hopefully it will soon be fixed where no-one has a problem with it.

I have it on a HP 384MB; 30gb drv w/XP home; a Gateway 98SE; 64mb; 12GB drv
Homebuilt XP Pro; 192MB 30GB drv; Home built 2000 server 384MB; 60GB drv.
a Compaq 486 Win 95 64MB 10GB drv.

These are only my results tho.

#8 troublewalking

troublewalking

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

you can delete/uninstall AVG6, then download/install AVG7 worked for me on several different systems. Also, I had one system where I had to disable windows f/w, install AVG7, enable windows f/w, dont know why, but it worked. :thumbsup:

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:43 PM

Yes, I think it varies dependent on several things.
It still does a fine job.

Not long ago it was the only thing "on the market"
that beat one of the malware associated problems
(swapX) that had analysts grabbing for all
kinds of tools to solve before it was found
to do the job.
relatively easily.

It gets updated frequently.
I like that.

The Czechs are experienced "cold-warriors"

Seems they don't like viruses much.
They do something about it.
Daily. :thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:52 PM

A friend of mine has a 1 Ghz Pent, 256 MB ram, 40 & 120 GB HDD, Asus MB running 98SE. He ran AVG 7 without removing 6 and it crashed him. He went into safe mode and uninstalled AVG before I got there. I took a look around and couldn't find anything AVG related except one folder with his updates that we left. He installed the EZ Trust 1 year free trial that came with the Microsoft Security Update CD (02/04) as I did. Now, when he gets his email he has a message from AVG 7 saying his mail was scanned and its safe. Go figure.

I liked 6, I just think 7 is too buggy, too beta to use yet. I like EZ Trust too.

Edited by Leurgy, 08 January 2005 - 02:53 PM.

#11 carrie

carrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:30 PM

Thanks to all of you for all your helpful comments and suggestions. I do have SP2. As far as what was running, at the time, no other programs were open, but I will run through the task list as phawgg suggested and see if I can close whatever is not essential during the installation. I did not uninstall v.6 before installing v.7, as it said that v.6 would be uninstalled as part of the v.7 installation process.

Troublewalking: I'll try shutting off the Windows firewall during my next try and see if that helps.

I'll sort through all comments again, then try again after making adjustments. If I still have problems, I guess I'll have to decide what to use instead of AVG.

Again, many thanks for your thoughtful responses. This is one fine forum!

:thumbsup:

Carrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users