Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need New Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

I used to use realplayer to record some of my cassettes to my computer. I stopped using realplayer because of all the problems I was having with it. I would now like to find a player that I can use to record some old tapes to my computer. I have I-Tunes, WMP-11, Nero-7 and Yahoo Jukebox. None of which I have found to work on that issue. Is there a program out there I can use to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Windows Sound Recorder will do that. Try a song or two just to test it out... at least it doesn't cost you anything. You will however need to convert it to the format you'll want it to be (if not .wav format), using another program. It worked for me.

Also, there are plenty of programs that will do that for you too, and some are FREE. Check the FREE Commercial Programs section here, and maybe there is something there that you can use.

Edited by Walkman, 11 March 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hello Walkman,

I am looking for the free commercial programs section you speak of. I don't know where it is or how to get to it. Could you give me specifics, please.

Thanks

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hi there! Try Audacity a free, open source audio editor and recorder.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Check my sig...

#6 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hello FireKracker,

I downloaded Audacity and it does pretty much what I need it to do. I only have one problem now. I connect my stereo to my computer now and I get a hum. It shows up loud on the recording. I tried line in and Mic in to see if there was any difference. I couldn't detect any. I like the control of the program though. I am still learning it.

#7 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

Hello Fozzie,

I am still pretty new to all this. I don't know what you mean by "Check my sig..."

Thanks

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:29 AM

Freeware section in Bleeping Computer

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

dumafach>>

1. Firstly plug the cable into the LINE IN onto your computer,
2. Secondly plug the cable into your stereo (out of interest, where are you plugging the cable into headphone socket or audio out?)
3. Have a tape ready, hit play and listen the sound from your computer speakers. Adjust the volume on your stereo and the volume on your computer (START >> SETTINGS >> CONTROL PANEL >> SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES and click on ADVANCED under the title DEVICE VOLUME).
4. The volume control window will open, there you can make changes to your computer's sound. If you want to change anymore setting regarding the sound, navigate up to OPTIONS, click and choose OPTIONS, there you can alter recording levels.

Hopefully this will cure your 'humm'.
Posted Image

#10 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hello FireKracker,

Right now I am using a Sony STR-DE845 home theater to run everything through. I tried using the headphone jack and RCA jacks out. Both have the same hum. I have tried volume control on computer and in Audacity. Usually the hum comes from a bad ground. I was thinking of grounding the stereo to the computer to see if this would help. I was thinking of using the turntable ground. At this moment I am hooked up on the video 2 audio output to the computers line in. I was also trying to see if I had something I could use as a line filter or an inline isolater. I can build a filter but I don't have a 1 to 1 isolater. I was alos trying to find my ground loopback that I used in my car installation. I haven't found it yet. Any other advice you could give would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems! Another soloution would be to either borrow or buy an inexpensive cassette player (like a cassette walkman) and play your tapes through that and connect to the computer with a 3.5mm stereo cable - I've done this in the past and it worked well.
Posted Image

#12 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hello FireKracker,

That is exactly what I finally did. I have a smaller Awia stereo and I hooked it up and it worked great. I shouldv'e figured the simple way is the way to go. Thanks for all your help.

Dumafach :thumbsup:

#13 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

You're welcome fella!! Sometimes the simpelist of things are overlooked - I've done it before!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users