Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Will Not Read Any Cd-roms And Dvds!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

I have an HP Pavilion zt1145 series laptop. For a while now it will not read any disks. This is really bad, especially since I am trying to play the system recovery disks that came with it.

Also when I go to My Computer the CD/DVD drive "D" is not there at all. I noticed that it is there on my pc.
Does this mean something? Oh and when I put in the CD there is no reaction at all.

How can I solve this? Please help.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Try uninstalling and reinstalling it and see if the hardware wizard sees it as a new device. It could have just come loose.

Edited by dc3, 11 March 2007 - 01:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:51 AM

Hi nyyanks.
If your cd\dvd drive is shown in device manager but not in My Computer, it's normaly caused by a filter driver installed by a particular burning or playback app. UDF packet writers (to treat your cd\dvd like a giant floppy) are the most common offenders.
The cure is to remove the values in the registry.
In case you don't know how to get in there, click Start>Run, type "regedit" (no quotes) in the run dialog box and hit your enter key or click ok.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete the "UpperFilters" & "LowerFilters" value only, shown in the right hand box. Reboot you're system. Check My Computer to make sure the cd\dvd drive is now shown. You may have to re-install any 3rd party burning apps that give you a problem after that but it's not always required.

Edited by HitSquad, 11 March 2007 - 07:53 AM.

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

really bad news it doesnt appear in the device manager!!!!!!!!! NOW WHAT?!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

Does it show up in the BIOS? If not, maybe it's gone bad or the mobo connection is bad. Try connecting it to another IDE cable or SATA, whichever you have... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

yup it shows up in bios but it is nonresponsive its probably broken but i'm not sure thanks anyhow
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

My bad, I missed that this was a laptop... sorry. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users