Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading From Xp Mce To Vista Premium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

Because HP, Compaq, Dell, Acer, Tobisha, and all those type of factore machine don't come with Windows XP CDs can these PCs be upgraded by the cheaper Upgrade version of Vista or do we need to get the complete expensive version?
its one thing that on the MS site i can't find the answere for....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

nobody know!!!!

I don't know if i can install an Upgrade version of Vista Premium or do a Full install of Vista Premium......since my PC was purchased in January 2007 (yeah just before Vista was on machines) on it is XP MCE (Preinstalled) meaning i have no discs....HELP ME, PLEASE!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hey Izzy -

I replied in another thread, and part of that reply may be appropriate in this thread.

Please read my post - h e r e.) as some of it may apply to your situation.
I believe that there may be hope for you and your situation.

Edited by JohnWho, 12 March 2007 - 04:06 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

Question - did your system come with an Express Upgrade of some sort to Vista?

If not, I'm sure you've read h e r e that you can buy the Vista Upgrade and install it as a "clean" or "full" install.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

i'm unsure if i have express upgrade as i don't know how you know if you have that is it an icon on the desktop or paperwork.......i probably not have it.......i'm sure enough i can buy an upgrade version on eBay for under $200AUD would it matter buying an OEM or a retail upgrade?

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

i'm unsure if i have express upgrade as i don't know how you know if you have that is it an icon on the desktop or paperwork.......i probably not have it.......i'm sure enough i can buy an upgrade version on eBay for under $200AUD would it matter buying an OEM or a retail upgrade?

Ah, you should know if you were entitled to an "Express Upgrade" - it would have been clearly stated on the box and in the literature that came with your system.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

In the box was the tower, keyboard, mouse, speakers and Microsoft Works 8.5 CD shrinkwrapped and a warrenty card....there is no manual no nothing etc......i had to ring ACER to restore my system as there was no instruction....

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

Nearly all of the PC's sold since Nov/Dec 2006 were eligible for an express upgrade from the manufacturer. Those sold in January (at my store) were all eligible (HP, Compaq, Gateway, eMachines, Sony). Unfortunately we didn't stock Acer's until after Vista debuted, so I'm not aware of their upgrade policy.

Try checking with Acer for upgrade options (they should have had an agreement with Microsoft on this as did all the manufacturers) - do this soon as the deadline was March 31.

Then, check at the HP and Toshiba sites for their express upgrades. They all use the same service for it, with their company name appended to the upgrade FOUND IT!!!

Express Upgrade to Windows Vista™

Acer's Express Upgrade to Windows Vista™ offer lets you enjoy all the benefits of Windows Vista™ on your Acer computer. Any Acer Windows Vista™ Capable or Windows Vista™ Premium Ready PC bought between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 includes an Express Upgrade to Windows Vista™ option that presents you with the great innovations of Windows Vista™.

From this link: http://global.acer.com/support/winvista/index.htm

Sounds like you qualify - so you'll be able to upgrade!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

hehe.....i'm ausie so doesn't sound i qualify on that site, on the ausie site i don't find anything about the "Exspress Upgrade"

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

for $27 without postage is a good saving....i don't know how poeple who don't have a credit card can pay for it as they only have credit cars as payment method....so its discriminating....

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:19 AM

i contacted ACER COMPUTER AUSTRALIA and was told i should be able to get the EXPRESS UPGRADE and have until the 30th of March......though trying to pay for it is a bugger as don't have CREDIT CARD......why can't they accept PAYPAL or something....

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:38 AM

i will disqualify anyway because i don't have a purchase reciept that crap...you think think that can suss it by activation of windows date.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users