Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp(sp2)(home)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

When I click on Start>Turn off computer then either >turn off or > restart, my pc does not respond. It does,when requested go into standby mode.
I have booted the pc in safe mode and carried out a disc check with neg. results. I also attempted system restore for several dates and find that the restore is also not functioning.
I have run my AVG program,Spybot,Adaware all with negative results.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem. mchaggis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hello,

When you say you performed a disk check, are you refering to the windows file checker? start run sfc /scannow
Also, when you tell it to shut down, how long have you left it to shutdown?

it could be that the system hangs on something, download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en it might help solve the problem.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hi,I went to the Microsoft site you provided and downloaded the Profile hive cleanup service. Still no response to Turn off or Restart commands.
When I click on either of the latter, I have been waiting at least two full minutes for a response.
The disc check I was referring to is under My computer..Local disk ©,>properties>Tools and checks the volume for errors.
When I attempt to run sfc /scannow I get the request to insert Windows Professional Service Pack 2 CD. I do not have winXP Professional I have WinXP Home.and my pc came with the OS pre-installed.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:32 AM

Hello

Download this tool, http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html tell it to do a scan, it should fix a lot of windows problems, if that doesn't work try this shut down tool, it might help http://www.winutility.com/qsd/
Regards,

Alan.

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

Similar problem and suggestions here.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...f-computer.html

#6 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Nigglesnush85,
Downloaded Advanced Windows Care Personal however,after selecting the language,installation froze.I was able to download and install the shutdown program however and that works fine. Your help greatly appreciated. mchaggis.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

your welcome. glad to have helped
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users