Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Prefetch Data?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

I just had a little alert pop up on my system tray, telling me that a file was corrupted in the Prefetch data folder and to run chkdsk. I think I know what I did, I uninstalled Limewire in favor of another program, and did a search for anything to do with Limewire, including hidden files, and deleted them.

I figure since I don't have Limewire on the computer anymore, there's no harm done, right? It doesn't actually affect the integrity of the XP OS, does it? I'd hate to have to reinstall everything again for the umpteenth time, especially after I just purchased Acronis True Image.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

I think you will be ok. Please do the following :
Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

In addition to fozzie's suggestion, run any antivirus/spyware scans you have on your computer (in safe mode as well) and keep an eye on things for a while to see if anything unusual, such as the pop-ups you mentioned, occur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users