Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crashed Maxtor diamondmax

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 14theory

14theory

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

I am new to the site so please forgive me if I do not adhere to all of the proper procedures. The deal is that I run an independent music recording studio. I have a bleepty compaq presario 5000 series (all that I could afford or new at the time)Pentium III 850 Mhz with stock PS MoBo 128 ram running Win ME. I have a stock 40 gig primary drive and a secondary Maxtor DiamondMax 9 that is 200 Gig. The drive comes with an ADA 133 card.

My drive crashed yesterday. I was moving a rather large file and I got the blue screen of death that said I had a disk error. Long story short... If I click on my D drive (maxtor) now it says that the disk is not formatted and asks me if I want to. I say no and go from there. I know that Windows Me and earlier supposedly do not have drivers that support over 137 Gig. That is what the ADA card is for.... I know that NOW anyway. I have over 145 Gig I am pretty sure and I have lost about 4 out of 800 files from the past two years worth of audio tracks within the last month or so. I did not originally install my drive and when I opened up the case I found that the ADA 133 card was installed into the PCI slot but the connecting cable was patched on the same cable as the boot drive. I need this information recovered at all cost. Two years worth of work... etc etc. I am sure that you have heard it all before. I am an idiot for not backing it up.

I tried Norton Disk Doctor but it said that it could find no partitions on the drive.
I got the demo for Hard Drive Mechanic (which people claim is great) and it wont run on my computer because I get an error message saying : Extended memory handler found. Reboot without XMS driver. I have no clue what this means. I am a novice. Either way... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys... Truly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:37 PM

I can only think of one app right off the top of my head that might work, and it's free, so it is at least worth a shot...

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

It is fairly intuitive to use, and if not, the instructions are fairly clear....I have used it a few times to recover 'deleted' files, but I have never used it in an instance such as the one you face. It claims it will work even if the FAT table is erased (which I suspect may be the case here)

To answer your question about the error message, Hard Drive Mechanic has a fairly extensive help page. Your exact question is handled here:

An XMS driver is a file that handles how the memory in the computer is addressed by programs run on it. Usually this file is on your boot disk. Try re-starting your PC from a boot disk without Config.sys or Himem.sys

Help page is here:
http://www.pcrecovery.com/product.asp?Prod...foTypeID=5#q013

Here is a link that will help you create a boot disk, but it means that you will also need to be able to navigate from a command line interface. I can probably help you get there though.

Here is a link for creating boot disks specific to your system:
http://www.mirrors.org/archived_software/w...om/original.htm
Or you can create your own.by using the instructions here:
http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#05

If all of that fails, don't give up hope quite yet. It is possible that the files can yet be recovered using a bootable linux disk (specifically one called Knoppix). It may sound intimidating, but it isn't too bad.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

#3 14theory

14theory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:44 PM

Awesome, thank you much. I have to go get some friends out of the ditch (snow Michigan... go figure) but I will try these things. I had just finished checking out that XMS error page and getting instructions for a boot disk when I read your post. Funny! Maybe I may have hope. I will try all and post again. Thank you so much.

14theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users