Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Have More Than One Antivirus Program?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

??

I recently switched to Avast after AVG dumped the free subscription. I never trusted AVG because after three years and two computers it never found anything. I hear Avast is good, and it seems pretty cool, but I honestly have no idea how it works. I'd rather have an antivirus that let's me do the scanning. Could I have Avast and another antivirus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

I'm still using AVG, and it's still free. Just because it doesn't find anything doesn't necessarily mean that it's no good. Maybe you're just a safe web surfer. You can do your own scanning with AVG. No, you should not run more than one AV at a time.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Although rlprlp is correct, having more than one AV at the same time will reduce performance, create false posotives and can lead to system instability. if you want more than one AV program, have one to monitor the system and the other disabled, this way the disabled one wont interfere with the active one, but can be used as on demand scanning if needed.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

No you cannot have more than one Anti-virus program but you should consider on your opinion,the best Anti-virus program that best suites you with maximum protection,each AV(Anti-Virus) programs has its own way and its capabilities to protect your pc you might even think that one AV is better than the other..but you may not know that that particular AV can do this while the other one cant do what this AV does so theres really a difference on AV programs

here,i started a topic sometime ago arguing in my mind which AV was the best: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/83996/which-is-the-best/
Hope this helps you
-Commander Gman :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

I'm still using AVG, and it's still free. Just because it doesn't find anything doesn't necessarily mean that it's no good. Maybe you're just a safe web surfer. You can do your own scanning with AVG. No, you should not run more than one AV at a time.

Really? Mine kept saying that my free service would be discontinued in February. I went ahead and installed avast before the expiration date.

It's not much of a surprise that AVG didn't find anything on this computer. But I was truly PC illiterate when I had my old computer...it was my first...and I didn't have a firewall or anything for the first few months. I clicked on almost every advertisement and attachment. The system was Win98 and had all kinds of issues. There's no way I didn't have a virus on that thing. Yet, when I finally got AVG, it turned up nothing.

I dunno. Maybe I was just really blessed.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

No you cannot have more than one Anti-virus program
-Commander Gman :thumbsup:

Not entirely correct Commander Gman, you many have more than one AV on your machine. However do not have more than one "active" at a time. If you do, they will usually see each others virus definitions as infections and cause instability. But having more than one AV for selective scanning is quite okay. But just be sure only one is active at a time.

Be (One AV at a Time) Safe :flowers:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:16 AM

Ok then Animal,I stand corrected,t.y. for doing so :thumbsup:
-Commander Gman

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

If the average user considers all the potential problems, already noted above, of having multiple AVs on the hard drive against the potential---and I suggest minor---benefits that might obtain, then it seems reasonable to have only one. Moreover, there are several excellent web-based scans that will serve as a double-check if needed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Really? Mine kept saying that my free service would be discontinued in February.

That was for v7.1. Version 7.5 is still available for free (as previously mentioned).

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Is there a way to manually scan with Avast?

#11 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:52 PM

Really? Mine kept saying that my free service would be discontinued in February.

That was for v7.1. Version 7.5 is still available for free (as previously mentioned).

Ohhhh...I didn't know that.

#12 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

I believe you can have more than one antivirus on your PC. Look at my PC. It has Norton 360 (antivirus), and Webroot SpySweeper with Antivirus. I haven't had conflicts of interest or anything like that.

--Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#13 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

i was quite a newbie, when i had two residential AV's running at the same time. the mouse cursor was froze and it took 45 minutes to move it down to the start button to shut down the computer. apparently i didn't pause protection properly on one of them. keep in mind to check your system config, by going start>run>msconfig>startup. always make sure that you only have one AV checked, that's on that list. you also don't want more than one anti-spyware checked on that list either.

#14 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Nice Idea ejames82 I'll follow that later on :thumbsup:

#15 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

ClamWin makes an excellent supplemental scanner since it lacks an active real-time scanning component.

http://www.clamwin.com/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users