Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time For An Upgrade ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brokendream

brokendream

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

Hello,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my old computer the specs are :

AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8ghz)
512 Mb of ram
Standard motherboard
40Gb HDD
Geforce FX5200
And a 250W Power supply

The upgrades im looking at are as follow :

Motherboard
Processor
Power Supply Or Power Supply
Graphics Card
I'm ok with HDD and the ram for now i can upgrade that later.

Are All these compatible ? The reason im asking here is because i won't get a bias answer. If i asked in store they'd just tell me to buy the most expensive.
Also if they aren't compatible could someone suggest another one that would work, but thats in the same price range.

Thanks for any Help. :thumbsup:

Edited by brokendream, 10 March 2007 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:00 AM

They look compatable to me, but I'd find another PSU. A 500watt for that much? If you go cheap, you might not get a good one. Spend a little more and get a good reliable brand like Antec or Thermaltake. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 brokendream

brokendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

The only reason i chose that was because of the price, but me been me i didn't think cheap might equal unreliable.
Also im looking for 450-500W Power supply because most Graphic Cards I've seen need about a 400W minimum power supply to run

Edited by brokendream, 10 March 2007 - 07:20 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

512 Mb of ram
Standard motherboard
I'm ok with HDD and the ram for now i can upgrade that later.

Since you don't mention the model of the old board, does it use the same memory type as the ECS you're looking at?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 brokendream

brokendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

The type of RAM i have now is DDR PC2000

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

You would be a lot happier if you double the amount of ram to 1gig. It makes a big difference in how fast your computer runs. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

I think what Platypus was getting at is that there are different types of memory. If you have a 184 pin memory, you will not be able to use it in a board that uses 240 pin.

@wildabeast- that first power suppy is an Antec. Apparently you thought those prices were cheap? Using the current conversion rate, tha Antec is about $68 US. The other one is $104 (choke). I can buy very good power supplies for $40 to $80 US. If I am doing the conversion correctly going the other way, 21 -42. I don't see any noise levels for the Antec, which usually means that if they omit it, it is going to sound like an airplane. The second one is going to make a bit of noise also (depending on your case).

Speaking of a case, are you sure that the motherboard will fit in it?

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

@wildabeast- that first power suppy is an Antec. Apparently you thought those prices were cheap? Using the current conversion rate, tha Antec is about $68 US. The other one is $104 (choke).

:thumbsup:

Sorry.... :flowers:
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users