Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows/microsoft Updates Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shazbutt

Shazbutt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:30 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me sort this out.

For a while now i hadn't been able to install the windows updates that run before my computer shuts down. It would get to '1 of 8' then come up with 'Instruction at 0x745f2780 referenced memory at 0x00000000'. Memory could not be read' (or similar - that once was the one i wrote down from last night). I'd choose to debug it, and sometimes it would install the rest, sometimes it would freeze and i'd have to turn it off manually. However, the last week, it's been installing them all fine...until last night, when it happened again. Why does it do this?

Also, i cannot install the microsoft updates (security etc). They download, but won't install. I get the error code '0x51F'. I don't know whether this is related, but i am now getting a window's installer box come up when i start my computer, and all throughout the day, failing whatever it is, then saying 'Installation file SKU011.CAB could not be found', then telling me to insert the CD i installed Microsoft Office 2003 edition from, or browse for the file. It was already installed on my computer when i bought it, so i don't have the CD or file anyhow? All my office programs are working fine, so i don't know what's wrong, but it's sh!tting me off!

And....yesterday and today, my computer booted up fine, got to login (where i logged in), loaded the desktop, then rebooted itself automatically? After that, everything was fine, except for 5-6 of these d@mn windows installer boxes popping up at any given time...*rolls eyes*

Hoping someone can help me out....if possible? If possible explain in laymans terms, as i'm not the most technically minded person :thumbsup: , LOL Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:57 AM

You could try Dial a fix. It worked for me.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

Edited by zbd, 10 March 2007 - 05:58 AM.

#3 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

Hmmm, thanks for that, thoughI ran it, and the microsoft updates still won't install. :thumbsup: Will see how i go with the windows updates at shut down tonight.

Cheers.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hi Shazbutt.
The "0x51F" is due to an Office 2003 local installation source issue (corrupt or missing)
Many times you can fix it by installing\reinstalling the full version of SP2 for Office 2003.
Some of the newer updates also require the latest version of the MSI engine.
Download both of them and save them to your HD. Install the MSI engine update first, Office 03 SP2 second.
Before you do either however, shut off Auto-updates. You can turn it back on when you're done.

MSI Engine
Office 03 SP2

Edited by HitSquad, 10 March 2007 - 06:44 AM.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

Try this or this

#6 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

HitSquad, i tried your solution first, and it installed the MSI update fine, but when it installed the SP2 update, said ' This update has already been applied or is included in an update that has already been applied'. Is that alright?

fozzie, i'm not technical enough to even make enough sense of the things you gave me! :thumbsup: . Thanks though...if i can't find any other solution, i'll try my hardest to give 'em a go.

#7 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Ok, so after installing the SP2 update, i just tried to install the Security Update for Word 2003, and it went through the whole 'SKU011.CAB file could not be found', and 'unable to apply update'.

What to do?!

I want to get Office 2007 sometime anyhow (when i can afford it), does this mean i might be better off doing it sooner rather than later...or can i get away without those updates, and just turn off windows installer somehow, so it doesn't pop up all the time?

Oh, and i forgot to add before, that at shutdown last night, all the updates went though with no hassles, so i'm not sure on why sometimes they don't?

Edited by Shazbutt, 10 March 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#8 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:03 AM

Aaaargh! I tried disabling and deleting the LIS for Microsoft Office, but now i can't enable it again! It says 'Original Installation Source required'...

Also, i tried downloading the SKU011.CAB file, but it says to put it in the C:\MSOCache\AllUsers-blah blah file, and i can't even find the that file (or in any other drive)...is there another way to search for it, besides the Windows Explorer search utility? Shouldn't that at least be on my computer somewhere?

It's really looking to me like i have to get Office 2007..... Although, do i need any of the missing files to be able to do an upgrade? Or do i have to buy the full Office version (which i didn't need the expense of :thumbsup: )? I am running Microsoft Office 2003 Professional, and would like to go to Home & Student.

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

Couldn't you slip the Office CD in and try to remove it all in that way?

#10 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

As i mentioned before, i don't have the CD, as it was already installed on my computer when i bought it. I'm trying out a new 'fix' now. Will let you know how i go.

#11 Shazbutt

Shazbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

Hot damn...i'm good! :thumbsup: I fixed it myself!

I couldn't find the aforementioned C:\MSOCache file, so i created one in C:, a sub folder called \All Users\, another subfolder in there called \9000040c-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9, and downloaded the missing SKU011.CAB file and extracted it into the new folder. Ran updates, and wala! All done!

I can't believe after googling all day, little old me finally figured out how to do it!

Hopefully all my automatic updates etc will run smoothly now *fingers crossed*. Thanks for all the suggestions, and for letting me kind of talk myself through it on here. Great forum (no doubt i'll be back sometime, LOL) :flowers: !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users