Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Open Any Video Files, Windows Explorer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobdabuildr

bobdabuildr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:27 AM

Window XP pro, all updates current
2 gig memory
amd 4400+ dual core

I tried to open a video file saved to my desk top but got a data entry protection (DEP) warning that made it close. This happens with every video folder on my computer. I am able to open VLC and load the videos from there, but not the actual video folder so that I can burn them. I logged off and restarted in safe mode. While in safe mode I ran Spybot S&D, AdAware, and CWshredder. All three programs removed items. I then rebooted in normal mode and I am still getting the same problem I have a hijackthis log.

I deleted the HJT log after surfing the web somemore. All my problems started after I installed the k-lite codec pack. I have now uninstalled the program, but still have the problem. I reinstalled the program and still have a problem. How do I clean up k-lite? What is a better solution?

Edited by bobdabuildr, 10 March 2007 - 04:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bobdabuildr

bobdabuildr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

I found out that if I disable the thumbnail view for videos that It will not crash. I went to start-> run and typed: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. Now it works fine. It should work with the thumbnails though, as it did before.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:39 AM

I have now uninstalled the program, but still have the problem. I reinstalled the program and still have a problem. How do I clean up k-lite? What is a better solution?

first :
Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Screenshot Ccleaner
Posted Image

Than try this Download XP Codec Pack 2.0.6 - XP Codec Pack is one of the most ...

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

I would say it is something to do with the file types allocation. Try opening My computer and goto Tools -> Folder Options ->File Types.
Search for .avi and .mpg and see what program it is set to run with. Change the default to VLC or Windows media player.
Posted Image

#5 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hope you can add insight...
I am trying to use AVI 2 DVD converter program to burn a DVD from a file on my system. Cucusoft Pro is the one and their techs keep telling me to install the Allin1 codec package but doesn't help. When I try to begin conversion I see only the video preview screen and it seems stalled. When I try again to add to project I get a IE error,must close. Should I continue trying their support guys? Is that my best shot or is their something I am missing(besides my brain)? Thank you

#6 GalinKinlin

GalinKinlin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Oh, I had this problem. I love k-lite codec though.

Okay, so, easy *possible* solution is to make K-lite your default player. (It plays things fairly well). Or, if it is, make something else your default.

Harder solution is to uninstall it and reinstall it, installing AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. K-lite has been known to interfere with certain games as well, so if you have FFVII, check to make sure it still works.

Edited by GalinKinlin, 08 August 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,138 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

What is the default program on your system for viewing/opening video files?

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips566.html

Louis

#8 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

Installing codec packs is always risky. I'd uninstall the pack if you can or do a system restore to back before you installed the codec pack. Then download and run Gspot on your video files to find out which common codecs they need for playback. Then just download the codecs you need individually, NOT from codec packs. I have found that most of the time internet movies just need DirectX 9.0c or above, and the latest DivX and MPEG1 and MPEG2. Possibly MPEG4 is creeping in now too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users