Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Erase File

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:10 AM

i am running xp sp2; and recently a friend used my computer to get some videos offline. later i found that he had put these videos into my documents folder. i went to erase them and all but one erased. this one doesnt give me even an option to delete if i right click on it. i tried running delete dr on it, but got teh error of it having an invalid file name so i decided to try to rename the file. i go to do that and i notice there is not option for that either; the only thing i can get to from my right click is the media player options. i have tried a program called XL delete (free trial) , delete dr, and spybot s&d's secure shredder. any advice on how to get rid of this?

note: im going to try deleting it in safe mode when i am done posting this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:04 AM

Try Unlocker: it's FREE
http://www.ccollomb.free.fr

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:49 AM

Looking at what you describe it could be that the file name is too long. Rightclick,rename and call it 100 and than try to delete.

#4 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

there was no option to rename it; all it had was the media player info (play open with... etc.) i decided that i could just remake the folder it was in, so i erased that instead. i did not get any errors or messages, the folder just erased and i cant find the file anymore.

thanks for the help yall.

Edited by purple frog, 10 March 2007 - 02:53 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:53 AM

And THANK YOU for posting how you solved the problem!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users