Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rdyjr1380

rdyjr1380

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

I am working on upgrading a Power Spec 4410 computer with Windows 98 SE that my sister use to own that she wants to give to her friend's son. I recently replaced the hard drive from a 3GB to 30GB. I used the systems recovery disc to put all of the computer stuff onto the new hard drive.

However, after rebooting the system, I am unable to get the system to locate the modem. The system only has one PCI slot. I looked at the modem card and it says it is a PCTel card. I also found a FCC number-the number is 2H9TAI-27146-M5-3. I had heard that if I need to find a driver for the modem, I could use the FCC number to locate info on the modem.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

FCC

I got that link by adding FCC to 2H9TAI-27146-M5-3 and using Google.

I tried PCTel and got THIS.

Generally you can find update drivers at the manufacturer's site when applicable.

I ran into the "brickwall" here because it seems they are geared towards selling wi-fi now.

My experience has been that a pv92 modem by chaintech runs under $10.00 with driver included (retail pkg). But that's a dialup modem.

And that's where my experience stops.
Laptops, wi-fi, networks in the home,
all await the future experimentation
that probably will fill my "appointment" book.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

The FCC doesn't give out any info like they used to because of "privacy" laws. It was a great resource in the past.

There are some PCTel Drivers on that site that might work. Check out Modem Site. It has some good info on those modems including a link to the Compaq drivers if thats what your working with. DriverGuide has a driver that might work. Some PCTel modems are Audio Modem Risers which means they also do the work of the sound card.

I agree with phawgg in that modems are pretty cheap right now. One thing to bear in mind is that all PCTel modems are HSP (Host Signal Processor) or Software modems which means that the work the modem needs to do is carried out by the CPU which will slow this computer quite a bit. You can get a good US Robotics Hardware modem for about $45. A hardware modem does its own signal processing letting the CPU do its own stuff.

Suggest you try either Belarc Advisor or Everest Home Edition to more accurately identify the modem and you will have a better shot at getting the right driver. It will also identify everything else in that computer.

Seems Conexant bought out PCTel. Go here for some good info, drivers and a utility that may identify the modem. The utility says it will identify Conexants, not PCTels.

Hope I didn't get too long winded. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 07 January 2005 - 10:53 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 rdyjr1380

rdyjr1380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for the assistance. I contacted my sister regarding the modem. She said it was not the original modem installed but the system should have still been able to recognize what kind of modem it is.

She thinks she has a disc for the modem and I was going to see her this weekend so I should be able to get the modem working. If not, I can probably get another cheap dial up modem and install it into the computer.

Once again, thanks for all the great info. It is nice to be able to get the knowledge and help of users that have the knowledge and ability to help others :thumbsup:

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:19 AM

If the modem is installed in the PCI slot go to Control Panel and click on the Modem icon. Windows will try to detect the modem. If it doesn't you will be given the chance to select it from a list. Scroll down that list and find PCTel. If its not there pick Conexant and install the drivers for whichever you find. Windows might say that the driver is not a good one but do it anyway. Then try a dialup connection. If you don't have one yet you can insert a local phone number and the modem will attempt to call it. Try your cell phone for instance. If the phone rings your good to go.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users