Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Keep Using Spysweeper?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

I have been using SpySweeper for quite a while now, but lately I have been wondering something. These big-name programs seem to be good, but they seem to be designed for the "average" user. Consider the average user: just the fact that you are reading this makes you more than an average user, because the average user has never even heard of computer help forums. The average user has never heard of Firefox. You get the idea. When I first purchased SS, I was new to computers. Now, I only use Firefox with NoScript. I use McAfee SiteAdvisor, and only go to green sites. In fact, I only visit new sites maybe twice a month. I only use my bookmarks on the web most of the time. I have IE6 set to disable ActiveX except for Microsoft Update and a few online scanners. And I never use IE directly, as I have the IE Tab Add-on for Firefox. I also use WinPatrol to monitor all cookies. With all of these security measures that the "average" user doesn't even know about, let alone use, is it really still that much to my advantage to be running SS on my PC all the time, taking up resources that might otherwise be used elsewhere? Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Spy Sweeper with all systems activated is a resource hog. With the setup you have and what you have learned to be safe on the net, I would stop it from loading at startup. I stopped doing the scheduled scans with security programs over a year ago. I do keep programs updated just in case something does slip by and I need to scan for it.
Winpatrol is a neat program. Have you got the latest? It now offers delayed startup.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, Buddy215. Yes, I have the paid version of WinPatrol, so I am always notified of updates right away. I have had WinPatrol on my PC longer than any other program (for example, I am now on my fourth AV program; AVG; so far, so good), and it is the only security-related program that I have never had one single problem with! Your reply is WELL appreciated, but I hope to receive more. (Nothing wrong with a second, third, etc. opinion!)

#4 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

i have spy sweeper also, and pretty much concur with buddy. i think it's the best anti-spyware programme in the world. i do not use it's residential protection, because it conflicts with my kaspersky residential av. i use it to scan in safe mode. it now detects and removes some real nasty malware. it has now found several items and removed them all. just for the scanning and removal capabilities, it's well worth paying for.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Are you talking about Webroot Spysweeper? I tried that one out but removed it. Instead I use the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware which has excellent detection and removal. I manually update and scan with it. I have other on-demand anti-spyware also. Usually, they find nothing, but every once in a while they do find something so it is well worth having them on my computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

SpySweeper is a good software since it detects lots of spyware and the scanner is so advance but then switched to SUPERAntiSpyware but i hope to buy SpySweeper someday... :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

Remember, no single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security industry is in a constant state of change with new infections coming out on a daily basis. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in "safe mode" provides the most complete protection.

Edited by quietman7, 10 March 2007 - 08:41 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for the responses. They all have excellent points, although a few of them went just a little off-topic, and didn't really answer my question as to whether or not constant active "24/7" anti-spyware is really necessary. However, it does sound like most of you do not feel the need to run resident anti-spyware all the time. I have a total of three anti-spyware programs that I use on-demand, in addition to SpySweeper. (Yes, Webroot, Orange Blossom.) I think that I will quit loading it at startup, and I still have some time to decide whether or not I want to renew my subscription (if I see no problems, then probably not.)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

Keep in mind that the purpose of a resident anti-spyware running in real time is to help prevent malware before it infects your system. Using on demand scanning works to detect and remove malware after infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

Good point, Quietman7. In response to that, I can word my question in a different way: While it is true that everyone runs some risk of becoming infected, given my personal security and web-surfing practices, is my risk of becoming infected high enough to warrant the resources required to run a resident anti-spyware program?

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

If you are confident about following best security practices, I would see no reason if you alone use the computer for not disabling real-time AS protection, especially if you have had no response from it for several months whilst using the internet. Understand though, that you are eliminating one layer of application security.
One always has the option of launching it if one is going into unchartered waters.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 March 2007 - 10:42 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, John. And a good point, too, that I've failed to mention. In my whole experience, SpySweeper had only found two items, and they BOTH turned out to be false positives, which the company later corrected. Again, I've already decided to try running my PC with SpySweeper disabled for at least now, but I still appreciate the comments.

Edited by rlprlp, 10 March 2007 - 10:56 AM.

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hello rlprlp,
SpySweeper is an excellent program. I trust it more than any other antivirus/antispyware program on the market today. My basis is the real-time protection. SS has prevented loads of spyware from even touching my PC. Other free antispyware programs have not. I hipe this helps some.

-- Jess
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#14 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Thank you, Jess. I don't question the quality of SpySweeper, but it seems as though we must have quite different web-surfing habits. I have never had SS come up once to prevent spyware from attacking my PC. This is the point (and a good one, too, I think) that John brought up.

EDIT: I have pretty much made my decision, and I may stop checking this thread. I mention this because I don't want those who choose to leave further comments to thing that I am rude, and ignoring them. Thank you again to all.

Edited by rlprlp, 12 March 2007 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users