Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Speed Slowing Down After Afternoon-upload Is Fine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

Like the topic says-my internet download speed slows down after 3PM, but my upload stays fine. I know this doesent have to do with website traffic. I tried setting up a server from a firneds computer and downloading from there-same problem.
I went on speedtest.net. Here are my current results:
Upload-794kbps
Download-334kbps

The results at 12PM has the same upload speed, but the download speed was almost 10 times higher. More like-
Upload-734kbps
Download-3424kbps.

What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

It's either traffic or throttling or bottlenecking, as they would call it.

1. Maybe you're downloading something and they're monitoring it?

2. Does this happen all the time, or has this just started happening? Maybe they're upgrading, or making hardware changes, during those times.

3. Have you contacted your isp about this?

4. And when you say you tried setting up a server from a friends computer, are you saying that you both are using the same isp company?

#3 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

lol I have the same problem. It really isnt a fix for it. Like 3 am I get 7,000+ k then at 2-4pm I get 200-300 k Also if you download alot you might have a Download ThresHold after so much. This goes by account not computer.Which means if you share your ISP account with other people they could be downloading alot which would trigger the Download Threshold which, at 12 am they would be asleep and wouldnt be downloading stuff.

#4 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

@walkman:
1. Nothing downloading. In fact, the only thing i'm doing is playing World of Warcraft or simply browsing. Maybe once a week I upload something, but that is for the whole day, not just 5PM.
2. It started happening.... hmm... This didnt seem to happen before my new computer, if I think about it now.
3. No. I dont want to resort to that, either. :\
4. Yep. He lives 5 blocks away from me. We both use Verizon. I simply used VMWare to setup a virtual machine with a uploading apache thingie. I dont know hwo he did it, but hey, it downloaded at the same speed as other websites. He doesent have the problem.

@Matthew
if you are talking about not having a unique IP, then no, that is not the case. I also dont share the same account with anyone else. No one in my building uses Verizon.

I used to have a Intel P4 which burned out (From damn overheating). Now I have a much faster setup-A AMD Athlon 3800+. I tried clearing my whole temp folder in my Documents and Settings. Imgaes seemed to load faster, but speedtest.net reported the same results.

Any ideas?

Edit: Here are today's results (6:28PM)
Posted Image

Edit once again: Look at all this awexome speed at 11:21AM.
Posted Image

Edited by Beremat, 11 March 2007 - 10:23 AM.

#5 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hello? Problem sin't going away anytime soon.

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Seeing as you have everything else ruled out, last resort....contact your ISP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Either contact your ISP or download the Google Web Accelerator.

www.webacclerator.google.com

It's free and works wonders for me.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

I'm not sure yet, but I think Google Web Accelerator WORKED!

It is 4 PM (about the time that the crappy stuff sarts) and look what I got!
Posted Image

Not the 3.5 mbps I get on other times, but it is many many times faster!

THANKS!
:trumpet:

#9 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like the internet exchange is busy around that time. I know how you feel about not wanting to ring your ISP :flowers: "Please hold" lol :trumpet: . I also have the feeling that the data lines to your ISP may have a small limit to the amount of data it can send and receive. If everyone in the area uses the internet at that time it will for sure slow down. :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#10 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hehe. One hour later- The time when it would really slow down to 300 kbps- look!
Posted Image

#11 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Glad I could help Beremat.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users