Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Won't My Network Key Change?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

Hello.
I have recently changed the wireless security from my laptop to modem/router. I changed from WEP to WPA PSK. I followed the guide from my modem/router manufactures web site. www.opennw.com/_pdf/62x_...lessSecurity.pdf .After following this which included:
logging onto modem/router interface, following instructions.
Setting it up on XP

After following this, I checked in the wireless's connection's properties. Only to find everything changed except for the network key, which was the same key for the WEP security. I re-typed the correct new network key and clicked ok. The only to see in properties again the same old network key from WEP.

I then went into view all available networks, once my network came up. I clicked connect once propend to enter network key, i typed in 111111111. Which has never been my network key, only to find that this key got Into the network. I'm confused.
What's going on?
What can I do to fix this problem?

My modem/router is a Open Networks 624W.

Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

You can go into your properties of your wireless card and select "Wireless networks" (NOT SEARCH FOR AVAILABLE). Or you can go into the Search for available and select "Change Prefered Networks". You should see the SSID of your router there in the list. Select it and hit properties and from there you can change it from WEP to WPA or even change your network key. Good luck and post back if you have problems.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users