Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Drive ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justalice

justalice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hello ... I'm curious if someone can assist , I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATAII-300 7200RPM 8Mb drive which I thought these drives were supposedly be quicker in the data transfer but I notice its not the case , Also someone once mention to me that the jumper should be remove to get better speed , Does anyone know for a fact this is true ?

Thanks .

Edited by justalice, 09 March 2007 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

SATA drives do have faster bus speeds than ATA drives. The fastest ATA can go is 133MB/s, whereas first-gen SATA can go 150 and SATAII will do 300. I believe in order to get the 300MB/s speed you have to have both a SATAII hard drive and a SATAII controller.

Keep in mind while the bus speed is indeed faster, the hard drive mechanism itself is not. If you were to get a drive that had 10,000RPMs instead of 7200 however, you would definitely notice a speed difference in your transfer rates since the seek times are going to be lower on a faster rotating drive.

So far as jumpers, SATA drives tend to not have jumpers at all. I've seen some with jumper blocks, but they're usually for factory purposes and not user-configurable.
Posted Image

#3 justalice

justalice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hey there Arcman ... Can you tell me where I should look for the location SATAII controller is ? Would it be listed in the devise manager area ?

Thanks.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

I'm actually not sure how to look for that in dev. manager.
It'd be easier if you could post the make/model of the computer, or if it's not a brand name, the model of the motherboard.
Posted Image

#5 justalice

justalice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

Ok , Its an Abit IC7 MAX3 , At the moment I have 2 Sata drives install , One for the OS and other for everything else , both are the same , Though I was just curious because I hear so much about drivers with these drive but I have never installed any , This is the main reason as to why I'm curious to know .

Thanks

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

Okay yeah, that has a SATA 150 controller, so it's faster than a full speed ATA controller, but not by that much.

You shouldn't have to worry about drivers at all, as long as everything is accounted for in device manager.
Posted Image

#7 justalice

justalice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Okay yeah, that has a SATA 150 controller, so it's faster than a full speed ATA controller, but not by that much.

You shouldn't have to worry about drivers at all, as long as everything is accounted for in device manager.

Thanks Arcman , In the devise manager area ? I only see the drives but not the controllers , Though I am able to use the drives

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

If I remember correctly the SATA controller is found under the IDE controller group in the Device Manager
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users