Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheap High Speed Internet By Satelite...is It Possible?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

I live in an area that does not have cables so I have to use just regular dial up slow crap. I'd like to get high speed internet but I can't unless I want to pay $70 a month. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: It's just not worth it. If anyone has any suggestions to getting high speed internet without moving or paying an unreasonable amount. I'm listening.
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Maybe this will give you some ideas. Just add one good neighbor who is willing to share.
http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/wifi/wifi_antenna.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

Well if you have the money you could use HughesNet or for 10 dollars cheapers WildBlue Im using the HughesNet and its faster then DSL around here. Also Don't go by the top speed they say I hit speeds of 7 mbps on there 700 k plan. Also my upload speed is like 1 mbps.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

I also use Hughes.net and they offer quite a variation of services,depending on your needs.
An inexpensive way to go would be to have up to 30 people in your surrounding area sign up/hook up for their "Commercial Class" system.
You would put the dish up at your place unless another location was more suitable for satellite access.

The big expense is the initial hookup and equipment.
If you can can get the max amount amount of of users on that satellite,the monthly bill will be really low!

Well worth checking out holytoaster4!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

Thank all of you for posting I really appreiciate it or however you spell that word :thumbsup:. I'm not quite sure what you guys pictured as the area I live in maybe the ghetto. I can't get wi-fi because I live in a really rural area outside a small town. Hughesnet or Wildblue seem like the solution but I don't have the money. Your solution for putting multiple people on the dish set up is a good one but I probably have five neighbors within 2 miles. Also I'm not sure if it's legal. Besides wouldn't it slow down the connection drastically. Though probably better than dial up is it really worth the extra money?
Sorry I shot down all your ideas ,but I will check out that wildblue thing. Thanks again for posting.

signed: the stranded toaster
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users