Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helpme12345

helpme12345

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

so im at the library typing this right now
ok so I have a Dell Dimension 8400 at the end of 2004
It has worked since recently when I got a virus and decided to reboot
When I was reformatting, I selected one of the partitions to install windows xp, but a warning came up saying that there could be problems with windows if you had multiple operating systems on one partition. I carelessly ignored it, and when i was done reformatting the comp, it had minor problems and its really annoying. So Yea i gues i shouldve listened, but there were only 2 partitions to choose from. The one i chose or the other one that only has 8 mb of storage.

So does anyone know how to fix this, such as making one of the operating systems deleted or soemthing?
And also, can someoen explain what a partition is. The partition I chose was located in the C drive and had like 75,000 Mb and the other partition was 8 mb, so I had no choice but to add another operating system.

Any suggestions, fixes, or advice would greatly be appreciated! =]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 helpme12345

helpme12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

can anyone help ? :thumbsup:

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

Welcome to BC helpme12345...

Wikipedia on Partition

It looks like you have installed 2 OS on 1 partition. Did you do a total reformat?Under normal circumstances nothing should be there, perhaps only the recovery partition frpm Dell?

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

When you select a partition to install Windows XP, it gives you the option of formatting, quick formatting, or leaving the filesystem intact. If you choose to leave it intact you are basically copying a new Windows installation where there are already Windows files present, which can cause problems.

It's recommended that you format the partition when given the option, and then let XP install onto a clean slate.

Keep in mind that doing this will remove all data from that drive and/or partition.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users