Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favourite Authors

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

:thumbsup: hi guys as i read a lot of crime fiction and have almost all books by my favourite authors was wondering if anyone had any suggestions tht i could try.

favourite authors are john connelly, tess gerritsen and richard montanari.

hope you guys can put some great books my way.

thanks mz30 :flowers:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

Detective fiction authors:
Gar Haywood. One of his books is Bad News Travels Fast. I nearly fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard when I was reading it, but it's serious too.

Rudolph Fisher. The Conjure Man Dies, and if I remember correctly he also wrote a few short stories. He died very young. He had planned to write a sequel to his novel, but unfortunately he died before he got very far into the planning stages. I really like his novel.

Robert O. Greer. He writes detective fiction and medical thrillers. The Devil's Hatband is one of his books. I have an autographed copy, and I got to meet and talk with him too. He's a really nice man, and he writes good stories.
---------
Fantasy authors:

Patricia Wrede - She spoofs a lot of fairy stories and in doing so creates new hilarious stories. She has also written books set in England in the Middle Ages with magic and magicians. I love her books.

Mercedes Lackey - She writes great stories, and she does a lot of research before writing which is evident more in some of her books than in others. She does write too quickly and there are errors in details. Additionally, there could be improvement in some syntax and word choices, but these issues don't detract much from the quality of her stories. I really enjoy them.

Pamela Service - I know her too. I've read a lot of her books, and haven't found one I disliked yet. I just have to reread her books again.

Diana Wynne Jones - A Tale of Time City. Blends mystery, magic, and adventure in one volume.

Emma Bull - War of the Oaks. She is very careful with her writing. She has put a lot of work into selecting just the right words to use. It took her 10 years to produce her first book. It is a great story and well-written. I don't know if she has come out with a second one yet.

I think that's good enough for a start. I have lots of other favorite authors, but what else can you expect from The Bookworm? :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

My favorites

1)Stephen King's older works

2)F. Paul Wilson - Repairman Jack is the man (a very good blend of classic horror and Dectective novels) Also note his book "Midnight Mass" it is as good as Stephen King's" 'Salem's Lot" if not better

3)Neal Stephenson - His books incompass computer tech, cryptography, and great story telling involving classic real world characters like Alan Turing, Issac Newton, and Gottfried Lebinez

Posted Image

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

Hi mz30,
My faves are James Patterson & Lorenzo Carcaterra

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

thnks for the suggestions guys i will keep my eyes open for them :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:45 AM

I like to read Fantasy Fiction, dragons, swords and stuff. There are several I enjoy, George R.R. Martin with the Song of Fire and Ice series, Robert Jordan.... I can't think of the others right now... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

Vampire, paranormal mystery, thillers.

I am especially fond of the works of Anne Rice up to but not including her latest book Christ the Lord.

#8 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

:flowers: 2--Tom Clancy & James Clavell :thumbsup:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#9 science

science

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

I read quite a great deal, so I'll just post a couple that I truly love and then I'll get back, 'coz I love talking about books! lol

Authors:

Terry Pratchett ~ The Discworld Series
~ These books are totally hilarious. They are in a fantasy setting; I usually find myself laughing out loud. My favorites are "Guards, Guards", "Mort", "Reaper Man", "Eric", and "Sorcery".

I love reading a lot of C. Jung's writings. It's so fascinating. Yah, I think I'm an alchemist at heart. lol
~ "Psychology and Alchemy", "Symbols of Transformation". (His work got me looking for some of the stuff he quotes from like the "Rosarium Philosophurum" ~ I love this 'book', lol. :flowers:

I'm currently reading "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. **Beautiful** book! :thumbsup:

Edited by science, 02 April 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#10 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

:thumbsup: hi guys as i read a lot of crime fiction and have almost all books by my favourite authors was wondering if anyone had any suggestions tht i could try.

favourite authors are john connelly, tess gerritsen and richard montanari.

hope you guys can put some great books my way.

thanks mz30 :trumpet:

:inlove: Maybe not in your line of reading, but witty, sarcastic fun.........anything by Carl Hiiasen.......probably the best writer from Florida ! :flowers:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#11 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

My favourite authour would be Stephen King.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#12 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:37 PM

Dean Koontz - If you like very well written stories with witty dialogue. Stories are semi supernatural / Science fiction.

Arthur C. Clarke - The master of science fiction.

Stephen Baxter - Arthur C. Clarkes successor.

Dan Simmons (The Hyperion Trilogy) A science fiction masterpiece. More thought provoking concepts packed into this trilogy than any other 10 books combined.

Edited by Constantine, 04 April 2007 - 10:41 PM.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#13 madmatt621

madmatt621

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

My favorite author happens to be Gary Paulson.

#14 Brain of J

Brain of J

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

Well, if you're a fan of crime fiction/mystery/any of that kind of stuff, you simply must read Sherlock Holmes! I bought these two volumes that Barnes & Noble put together of every one of Sir Arthur Canon Doyle's works with Sherlock Holmes and read them both cover to cover. Those are some amazing stories.

And also, Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite authors. But that doesn't really need explaining :thumbsup:

#15 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

Tom Clancey and Dale (not Dan) Brown (haven't read anything besides my screen for a couple years :thumbsup:)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users