Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duel Core . . . ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brokendream

brokendream

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

I've searched all over the place and couldn't find a straight answer.

If for gaming the specs of a game was a minimum spec of 2.2ghz (for example) and i have a duel core 2.0ghz, i thought that it will easy work ( 2x2.0ghz = 4.0ghz) but I've read that the core's don't work as one when playing games, is that true ?

And if it's not true would the 1'st core use the 2'nds core if it isn't powerful enough ?

Any help Or information would be Appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

What game?
Do the specs list any recommended processors like a P4 or an AMD64 of any type?

The thing of it is GHz isn't really an effective measure of processing power anymore, since they're making chips that are far more efficient and do more operations per clock cycle. For example, any Core2 Duo chip clocked at around 2GHz will absolutely smoke a Pentium 4 Northwood 3GHz chip. And that would still be true even if you were dealing with a single-core processor. When the AMD64s first came around they were clocked lower than the comparatively priced P4s, but the AMDs beat them out for performance.
Posted Image

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

Dual-cores don't work that way. A dual-core processor can't do one task twice as fast, but it can do two things at once. So the only help you'll have of your second core is that it can do background tasks, like managing the anti-virus and firewall, and leave the first core to completely focus on the game.

The exception is multi-threading, a complicated programming technique which basically involves splitting one task up into several smaller tasks, but it has to be done deliberately by the programmer who made the game.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 brokendream

brokendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

So for gaming would a 3Ghz+ single-processor is better then a duel-core ?

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

Not necessarily. Usually you will have more than one program running at one time. Dual-core gives you more resources to handle all those processes. Thus, while one processor is handling your game, the other can run all of your background processes. I am basically restating what Mr. Alpha said. :thumbsup: Besides, multiple cores appear to be the future of computing.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#6 brokendream

brokendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

Ok, Thanks For The help

0 user(s) are reading this topic