Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed With New Dsl Modem And Existing Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GlennCoco

GlennCoco

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

I just switched to Qwest DSL. I had cable internet before, and I have a D-Link DI-624 set up for the one wired computer, and wireless. It worked pretty well in the past for me.

Well, Qwest just sent me this ActionTec GT701 I think it is called. It's got wireless built in, but I guess it isn't a router because only one computer can connect wirelessly I think, which is a problem for me because I need more than one wireless to be able to connect at a time, for when friends come over. So I want to use my existing D-Link.

This morning I got up early to start setting up the DSL but when I go through my router nothing works. I guess I figured that I could just "replace" my cable modem with the DSL modem. I can't. So right now I am going straight from modem-to-computer, which means of course I don't have wireless now for my laptop.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hello,

I just switched to Qwest DSL. I had cable internet before, and I have a D-Link DI-624 set up for the one wired computer, and wireless. It worked pretty well in the past for me.

Well, Qwest just sent me this ActionTec GT701 I think it is called. It's got wireless built in, but I guess it isn't a router because only one computer can connect wirelessly I think, which is a problem for me because I need more than one wireless to be able to connect at a time, for when friends come over. So I want to use my existing D-Link.

This morning I got up early to start setting up the DSL but when I go through my router nothing works. I guess I figured that I could just "replace" my cable modem with the DSL modem. I can't. So right now I am going straight from modem-to-computer, which means of course I don't have wireless now for my laptop.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

How you get to the Internet shoul not make any difference.
On the modem/router that you just got, there have to be some configurations that you can change, one of them would be disabling the wireless. Go thru the manual for the new modem.
Now how to proceed from there... Just like your old setup, just get the ethernet on the LAN side to the uplink or the WAN port of your D-Link.( Follow exactly how you had your old modem setup.)
Now on the Dlink, you will have to reset all the settings coz the WAn source is a new one.
Most of the times, the DSL is a PPPoE setup, call the service provider and find out about this, on the router (DLink) you will have to setup the PPPoE connection(If this is PPPoE) Otherwise reset the router to the Factory default settings, turn both the modem and the router OFF.... Turn ON the Modem first, let it sync with the network, there should be a light indicating that it is connected and synced.....
Then turn ON the router, let it go thru the self check and setup steps.
Get to the configuration page of the router and configure it so that it syncs with the modem....

Follow the Quick Setup guide for the DLink, that should help you....

Let us know....

PS: Any Wireless router/modem can support up to 254 devices.

#3 GlennCoco

GlennCoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply so far.

First, the modem didn't come with a manual, and I can't see ANYWHERE in the settings to turn the wireless off. Also, my laptop isn't picking up a wireless signal from this, so I can only assume it isn't enabled right now.

Second, what I did was this: I left the cable from the D-Link to the computer the same. I also left the cable in the WAN port of the D-Link. I guess I could say in the most simple terms, the only cable change I tried was disconnecting one end from the cable modem and plugging the same into the DSL modem. As soon as I do that, I no longer have internet access.

Also, I don't know how to change the settings on the D-Link because I can't access it anymore for some reason. I'm not sure what is going on. With the DSL modem hooked up, entering 192.168.0.1 gives me the Actiontec settings. If I try going through the router, I keep timing out.

#4 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the reply so far.

First, the modem didn't come with a manual, and I can't see ANYWHERE in the settings to turn the wireless off. Also, my laptop isn't picking up a wireless signal from this, so I can only assume it isn't enabled right now.

Second, what I did was this: I left the cable from the D-Link to the computer the same. I also left the cable in the WAN port of the D-Link. I guess I could say in the most simple terms, the only cable change I tried was disconnecting one end from the cable modem and plugging the same into the DSL modem. As soon as I do that, I no longer have internet access.

Also, I don't know how to change the settings on the D-Link because I can't access it anymore for some reason. I'm not sure what is going on. With the DSL modem hooked up, entering 192.168.0.1 gives me the Actiontec settings. If I try going through the router, I keep timing out.

OK there seems to be some miscommunication here.
when you type 192.168.0.1, if you are going to Actiontec settings, that means you are logging on to the modem. That could be good in a way.If you try that again, does it give you a login screen?
If it does, try admin as the password leaving the user blank, if you are able to get in, you can reconfigure the modem to your needs.
Now on the router, there should be a small button on the back(mostly), you will need a pin to press it, and doing so will bring the router back to the factory settings.
NOW, without connecting the router to the modem, open a browser and type the address 192.168.0.1
This should give you a login screen for the router.
Do the same, leaving the user blank, and admin as the password, or try admin for both the user and pw.
Once on the router in the config, change the internal network address to a 10.10.0.1, leaving the WAN on automatic.
Enable the DHCP on the LAN side, if you have the MAC filter make sure that is turned OFF. This will open the network to whoever passes by, but we can fix that later on.....

Just by the way, did you try to google the router and the modem models, I am sure you can get some configuration documentation from the manufacturer sites.

After this you can connect the modem to the router, On the router you will have 192.168.xxx.xxx as its WAN address and the LAN address range will be like 10.10.0.xxx.
For securing the network after all starts working, put the MAC filtering ON(if available) but that all comes later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users